Can I reduce the quality of my Itunes files to fit on Iphone.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I suspect my question is a simple one but I'm having difficulty finding an answer. I have an Ipod Classic 160GB and B & W Zeppelin, a combination i'm very happy with. I have approximately 40GB of music on my Classic, most of which are CD's I've ripped using Apple Lossless. I'm keen on the new Iphone 16GB and would like to fit all my music on it for listening on the move. I'm quite happy to listen to reduced quality files on the Iphone. Is it possible to do this but without losing my lossless files on my computer or on my Classic. There is an option on Itunes when syncing to "convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC" but i don't want to chose it in case I lose my lossless files forever.

Having been an avid reader of the helpful advice in these forums this is my first post. Any advice greatly appreciated.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Do not fear as itunes will only convert the copy that it syncs to the ipod/iphone. the original (on the computer) will remain intact, in hi rez alac. when you synch to the classic, make sure the 'convert to 128kps aac' is unticked and itunes will synch hi-rez apple lossless to the classic (I think itunes will even remember the setting for each particular ipod you manage).

It is a nice space saving feature but the synch with conversion will take a long time (as itunes will have to convert on the fly) when synching.

this is a nice space saving feature but I would have preferred to be able to choose the compression level. From, say, 128, 256, 320.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Yep this is a useful feature that wasn't always available - I was maintaining 2 completely separate iTunes libraries until a couple of weeks ago when I saw that setting - one in ALAC for home replay and one with copies of most of it at 128kbps AAC. Bear in mind the first time you check the 'convert to 128kbps AAC' and sync the iPhone then it will take an age (like overnight) to sync everything - it seems to compress the files on the fly as it copies them across with that feature in use.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys that is great advice. I look forward to trying it out when Iphone arrives.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts