Can i do with out Digital Optical cable for an HDMI source?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI there can someone tell me does Digital Optical cable make so much difference on a HDMI connection?

i have got to the stage where i now need a HDMI switcher as i only have 2 hdmi inputs into my Sony Receiver and 1 output. My Philips LCD only has 1 HDMI input.

My set up

Philips LCD - 1 HDMI input

Sony Receiver - 2 HDMI inputs, plus other AV inputs

The following needs to be wired through the receiver to the TV:- 

Sky HD, PS3, Apple TV

I have been looking for a 3:1 hdmi switch but then realised that would not include my digital optical cable which ideally i would like to use on all three peices of kit. If i just forgot about this on the 2 sourses which would go into the HDMI switch would i notice a big difference or should i look for a HDMI switch box which includes Digital Optical switch as well? 

Or would it be possible to get a seperate HDMI switch and Digital Optical switch and run them at the same time next to each other? 

daveh75

the only reason to use an optical aswell hdmi is if the source cannot send multi-channel sound via hdmi,such as sky hd.

sky is only able to send stereo via hdmi hence the need for optical. this isnt an issue with ps3 so no need for optical, not sure about apple tv though. but i expect jd will be able to answer that one.

this is also assuming your amp can accept sound via hdmi also and not just pass through's for hdmi switching

A

Anonymous

My Sony Receiver is model number STR-DA1200ES so i think it shouldaccept sound via HDMI but please correct me if i am wrong!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
andytucker:My Sony Receiver is model number STR-DA1200ES so i think it shouldaccept sound via HDMI but please correct me if i am wrong!

No, it doesn't.

A

Anonymous

so i need to get a hdmi switcher and digital optical switcher to use all 3 devices

A

Anonymous

Will using a switcher on HDMI and Digital Optical effect the quality of the picture/sound at all?ÿ

Would any cheap HDMI switcher and Digital Optical switcher be ok to use as i have seen some on ebay for less than £10 or should i go for something more expensive? Money is a bit tight at the no though!ÿ

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Cheap HDMI switchers can cause signal drop-outs, if the hand-shaking between components is lost, and in some cases 'sparkly' interference on picture.

Optical digital audio switchers should be fine - I usually suggest one available for about £15 or so from Maplin, but the same device is also available from other sources.

TRENDING THREADS