Question Can I combine an old wired set up with streamer and add wireless speakers for multi-room?

Svatopluk

Jan 6, 2021
Visit site
I have a pair of B+W 602S 3s powered by Arcam alpha8r amp. Still sounds great so dont want to ditch. These days though out of convenience mostly streaming spotify premium re headphone cable from smartphone to aux socket. So looking to upgrade with a dedicated streamer with DAC (or possible amp/streamer combo as i have some functionality issues with the Arcam) and connect through the amp aux. I would also like to be able to add some wireless active speakers in other rooms which I hope would be able to communicate with the streamer wirelessly (bluetooth probably). I am very new to all this so have no idea whether this would work or whether there would be synch issues between the wired and wireless speakers when playing the same music. There seems lots of systems out there bluesound, sonus, yamaha etc and it looks like I have to stay with one manufacturer's ecosystem (streamer and wireless speakers). I would prefer not to as there would be more choice. Any advise appreciated.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Bluesound have a very good streamer the 2i for your amp/speakers plus satellite speakers. Sonos are same and have the better app. Those are the brands I'd recommend from my own experience.

jjbomber

I would also like to be able to add some wireless active speakers in other rooms which I hope would be able to communicate with the streamer wirelessly (bluetooth probably).
Depends how much you want to spend. In the meantime have a look at Dynaudio. That will use a module called a connect wired to the line out of the amplifier and transmit the signal to the active speakers without lag.

Svatopluk

Jan 6, 2021
Visit site
Depends how much you want to spend. In the meantime have a look at Dynaudio. That will use a module called a connect wired to the line out of the amplifier and transmit the signal to the active speakers without lag.

Ok thanks. Am I right in saying that I need to buy into 1 manufacturer's eco system and can't mix and match? Seems to be a huge hole in the market for someone clever if that is the case. I am quite limited then - dont want to spend big money as the purpose is to extend an existing system with some wireless units (and if possible mobile) not to supplant it. Would chromecast work in this case? I am very new to all this so struggling a bit.

jjbomber

You can use a Bluetooth transmitter from the output of the Arcam to a pair of active speakers in another room if you want. That would have a lag between the sound in the two rooms. Another cheap way to do it is to get a couple of Amazon Echo Dots and stream Spotify to them. They have a headphone output which you could use as a line in to the Arcam and a line in to the active speakers.

Svatopluk

Jan 6, 2021
Visit site
You can use a Bluetooth transmitter from the output of the Arcam to a pair of active speakers in another room if you want. That would have a lag between the sound in the two rooms. Another cheap way to do it is to get a couple of Amazon Echo Dots and stream Spotify to them. They have a headphone output which you could use as a line in to the Arcam and a line in to the active speakers.
Thanks. I might consider looking at Audio Pro they seem to have well a priced wireless speaker range with good reviews (and some not so). They have the dedicated link streamer which can work with the Amp. and pair with their speakers at the same time - hopefully without lag (the spaces are connected not separate rooms).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts