Can anyone recommend a DAC for about £200??

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi - just but a squeezebox 3 and its amazing but I know it can sound better. Just wondered if anyone could recommend a DAC for about £200 ish that will significantly improve the sound?? I'm using azur 540a and MS 902i's!

Cheers
emotion-2.gif

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Oooh, just seen this: Beresford TC-7510 DAC - Seems a bargain at 100 quid.

Do you think it'll improve the sound quality of my SB 3??

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
General consensus is that its amazing. So just ordered one!

Sorry for the pointless thread - I'll research more thoroughly next time
emotion-10.gif

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks fr0g! That pic was really helpful. What say you to the idea of "dumping" it on top of my NAD C320 BEE, which, imo, seems to warm up quite quickly...? Your thoughts on the diference it made with your kit is also really good to hear, as ill be using it with a pc too.

A

Anonymous

Yep I'd recommend it....can't go wrong for the money

T

the record spot

There's a good range on the used market; DACs were big news from the mid-90s but less so in the early 2000s. You could certainly have a look around and pick up a sonic star for relatively modest outlay that might transform your system. Worth a look.

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Right the Beresford arrived this morning. Unpacked it - nice looking quite solid well built - and hooked it up via digi coaxial from sb3. First play - not massively different but I was listening to coldplay. A few more listens with a suitably eclectic mix revealed the following: Much improved detail everywhere ie high, mid, low range. Able to pick out the instruments much better which often revealed things i hadn't noticed before. High's are bright but warm and not harsh, low's are tighter and more detailed. So first impressions - very pleased. I'll post back with more thoughts when i've listened more. Bare in mind that it was early (0830) and my ears hadn't quite woken up yet! (I always find things a bit brighter and harsher first thing!)

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Okay I have just felt compelled to write something else. Please bear in mind that I am relatively new to hi fi and only have a low end system - azur 540a and MS 902i's.

I've just put a selection of classical tracks on ranging from classical guitar solo to chamber to symphony etc - oh my god - i have never heard anything like it - absolutely outrageously good - the clarity and detail and atmosphere almost brought a tear to my eye !
emotion-2.gif
Not only could I hear the finger touching the strings but also I could hear the guy who was playing, quietly breathing in the background. Beautiful. I could also hear the orchestra WAITING to play... I am no classical fan particularly but it sounded amazing.

Next I put Material Girl on from Madonna's Immaculate collection and cranked up the volume - I could not help but grin - the base line that punched out was awesome, simply awesome. Thumping into the air with precision and depth. I almost laughed.

It has literally lifted my system to a whole new level - which has now costed me the princely sum of £700 including speakers stands and cable, and interconnects! Surely sound this good should cost more!? and who said I'd be ok listening through my ipod dock??

To sumarize the beresford - it has shifted the clarity, detail, and dynamics of my system into a different world.

I have not heard anything this good - ever.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to hijack the thread but if any one else is interested in buying a DAC I have an Audio Alchemy Dac-in-the-Box going cheap.

High quality well designed digital to analogue converter unit, basically there is nothing to wear out and it represents a good value for money, the perfect upgrade for CD players (or other separates with digital output). RCA/Phono x 2 (L/R) outputs, coaxial and optical inputs. boxed, supplied with Kontak Link 505 gold digital cable with Audio Alchemy 230v power supply.

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="al7478"]Well thats quite a reccommendation. Tell me, were you listening at a "sociable" lvel, or did you really crank it all up...?[/quote]

About 10 o'clock on my 540a - quite loud. It does sound better than my squeezebox at lower volumes though (i think). Maybe I'm doing my SB3 an injustice though - i'll test it at equally high crankage and get back to you....

Dorking Bob

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
Go for the Beesford DAC at about £98. A friend has added one to his Squeezebox and is delighted. I also have one linking my PC held wav files to my AVI Amp - its brilliant.

Its well worth the money I assure you and the guy who sells them provides money back guarantee if you are not happy - but you will be!

Dorking Bob

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
fr0g - digi-out. good point. im rubbish at connecting stuff. ill check, but might need a new soundcard anyway lol! would be tempted to go the external rout with that too, and connect the Trends thing to the beresford...Again, apologies to the OP. hope this helps someone other than me lol!

John Duncan

[quote user="al7478"]fr0g - digi-out. good point. im rubbish at connecting stuff. ill check, but might need a new soundcard anyway lol! would be tempted to go the external rout with that too, and connect the Trends thing to the beresford...Again, apologies to the OP. hope this helps someone other than me lol![/quote]

If not, you can always pick up a sound card with a digital out for (guessing) a tenner at www.ebuyer.co.uk

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="al7478"]mattc76 - cheers. i need to keep quite sociable levels so wouldnt go for something that i thought would only give a subtle diference with loud volumes.[/quote]

Ok. Done a quick comparison between Beresford and SB3. Basically the Beresford has better dynamics particularly more forcefull and punchier base, and slightly better clarity and detail all round (on my kit). I have to say I was actually surprised how good the SB3 was. At moderate (sociable) levels the SB3 sounded slightly "flatter" ie not quite as interesting or exciting as the Beresford (i guess thats the better dynamics?) but the difference is not huge i have to admit, but I still think noticeable. Remember this wasn't blinded and my kit is not amazing either!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="mattc76"]
Hi - just but a squeezebox 3 and its amazing but I know it can sound better. Just wondered if anyone could recommend a DAC for about £200 ish that will significantly improve the sound?? I'm using azur 540a and MS 902i's!

Cheers
emotion-2.gif

[/quote]

No

;-)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Dorking Bob"]Go for the Beesford DAC at about £98.[/quote]

ditto that, if you can't strech to £600 and over the Beresford would eat up most of the cheaper one. It also can be use as a headphone amp....bargain

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="al7478"]mattc76 - thanks for that! What is your kit...? Sorry, im being really dumb, but...SB3? Could you remind me...?[/quote]

Squeezebox3, CA540a amp and mordaunt short ms902i's.

al7478 - Am i right in thinking you're connecting your computer on-board sound to your amp directly? If so, then plug your digi out from the computer into the beresford and then into your amp. You'll get a pure digital signal from your computer and no eroneous noises eg hard drive etc. I'm sure it'll make a massive difference. There is no point even buying a new soundcard then because a digi signal (from the computer) is a digi signal!!

Email Stanley and see if he'll let you try it if you're not convinced!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts