Can anyone help with my upgrade from CRT TV to Plasma TV HD set up?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After 7 years decent service with my Toshiba 36ZP18P, I’m upgrading into the world of HD/ home cinema!

With the recent WHF 50” group test , I am tempted with the Samsung PS50B650. However, I’ve always liked the Pioneer Kuro LX5090 and there are some still left out there. I know the Kuro is the better but with the Samsung around £1200 and the Pioneer at £2099, is it £900 better?

I’m slightly restricted with speakers, they need to be wife friendly! i.e. discreet and nothing too bulky. Problem is that I have quite a large room, measuring 20ft by 16ft. Although I’m not going to play music through them, just for TV and gaming.

I do like the look of the speakers that Pioneer do specially for this TV. An undermount & 2 side speakers. If I added a suitable subwoofer and 2 rear speakers would this be as good sound as one of my alternative packages below?

Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1, or Q Acoustics Q-AV

KEF KHT 2005.3 or

Monitor Audio’s Bronze BR2,

Amplifer - Not sure about this yet but £400 seems to get you something decent. I may be able to stretch to the WHI best buy (up to £500) Denon AVR-1910

I hope to keep this set up TV for at least another 7 years so any help from anyone on the TV, or speaker/amp set up would be much appreciated.

Widgerman.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
widgerman: I do like the look of the speakers that Pioneer do specially for this TV. An undermount & 2 side speakers.

Errr, it's an undermount OR two side speakers. Not both.

If I added a suitable subwoofer and 2 rear speakers would this be as good sound as one of my alternative packages below?

No, anyway, the Pioneer speakers plug into the TV, not into an amplifier, which is where the packages you listed would be connected to.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Of the speaker packages you've mentioned, I would definitely opt for the Q Acoustics 1010is or the Monitor Audio Bronze BR2s if you can fit them in your living room. Would recommend going to a dealer / couple of dealers who stock them and listening to them with a few different AV amps at around your price point - just give them a call beforehand so they can setup a demo.

Can't really advise on the TV - the Kuro is raved about, but whether it's worth the extra £900 is probably only something you can decide. Again, a demo of both is advised.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:
Of the speaker packages you've mentioned, I would definitely opt for the Q Acoustics 1010is or the Monitor Audio Bronze BR2s if you can fit them in your living room. Would recommend going to a dealer / couple of dealers who stock them and listening to them with a few different AV amps at around your price point - just give them a call beforehand so they can setup a demo.

Can't really advise on the TV - the Kuro is raved about, but whether it's worth the extra £900 is probably only something you can decide. Again, a demo of both is advised.

Agree with the Professor. I trialled both the Qs and the BR2s and opted for the BR2s, I found they had greater depth when it came to action movies and dealt with the bigger bands etc easier. This said they also handle the subtle stuff very well.

Have to add though, not sure why you want discreet speakers when you are buying a 50 INCH TV ;-)

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for all the advice. I think i'm going to go with the Kuro. When I went down to Sevenoaks they only had LED Samsungs and were concentrating more on Panny Plasma's.

I will orgainse a demo and go from there.

TRENDING THREADS