Camridge Audio DacMagic Plus

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Recently purchased a CA DACMagic Plus - primarly for practical reasons (linking spotify and youtube up to the hifi rather than playing on my mobile phone speaker, and linking my TV up to the HiFi amp)....i went for the DACMagic Plus - as i took a punt the extra price may bring some benefit to my CD player - but wasnt expecting a lot as the rhetoric on this forum has been a DAC is a DAC is a DAC.

I have to say, ive been blown away by the difference its made to my CD player! The level of extra detail im gleaning is WAY higher than i was expecting! Not going to write some crazy review on here, but what i will say is if youre running a budget-ish CD player and are thinking about a DAC, give this one a bash. Loads of inputs, and the sound quality improvement is noticable in my opinion. Also Richersounds where i bought it let me try a 14 day trial at home with it.....i wont be returning it.

V happy with my purchase.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I had one and it had just as good dacs than my intergrated amp of the time which was a lot more expensive.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I bought an used Focusrite Scarlett Solo for 50 euros last friday and I don't think I'd be able to distinguish it from a posh DAC. Still, I didn't try to blind test it against my Mytek 96 yet. Level matching won't be easy, unless I buy a mic.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Pedro said:
I bought an used Focusrite Scarlett Solo for 50 euros last friday and I don't think I'd be able to distinguish it from a posh DAC. Still, I didn't try to blind test it against my Mytek 96 yet. Level matching won't be easy, unless I buy a mic.

The easiest way to level match is to use a millivoltmeter across the speaker terminals. Play some sort of steady tone and adjust the volume control on your amplifier for each dac so that the speakers are recieving the same input in each case, quite easy actually.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
davedotco said:
Pedro said:

The easiest way to level match is to use a millivoltmeter across the speaker terminals. Play some sort of steady tone and adjust the volume control on your amplifier for each dac so that the speakers are recieving the same input in each case, quite easy actually.

Thanks Dave. I'm using the Solo with my older Adam F5s at work, but I guess I can apply the same method, measuring the RCA voltage output...or can´t I?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Pedro said:
davedotco said:
Pedro said:

Thanks Dave. I'm using the Solo with my older Adam F5s at work, but I guess I can apply the same method, measuring the RCA voltage output...or can´t I?

Not so simple with active speakers, with passives it is really simple. You might be able to get a reading off the combi plug, try measuring across pins 1 and 2 or 1 and 3, should be pretty obvious.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
davedotco said:
Pedro said:
davedotco said:
Pedro said:

Thanks Dave. I'm using the Solo with my older Adam F5s at work, but I guess I can apply the same method, measuring the RCA voltage output...or can´t I?

Not so simple with active speakers, with passives it is really simple. You might be able to get a reading off the combi plug, try measuring across pins 1 and 2 or 1 and 3, should be pretty obvious.

I'll try to do the test in a weekend with my passive system. I have to sort some XLR to RCA cables, because the Mytek only has XLRs out.
I'll post my findings in due time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts