Cambridge sound

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Bright,edgy and aggressive; or fun, lively and detailed - depending on your taste.

IMO. They need careful matching to smooth them out.

Cno

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
That will be model dependant (and subjective) - improving as you pay more.

I found the sound not to my taste, so didn't spend too much time listening.

To get a more balanced view, you need an owner to respond - which hopefully they will.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I have a cambridge 840 v2 as well as a rega brio 3 and a pioneer a400. The 840A v2 is in another class altogether compared to the brio and a400(as much as i like them both). The 840 v2 has so much more power and natural dynamics which is apparent at all volume levels. It does compare with amps costing a grand tho so you might expect it to be good.

tonky said:
I have a cambridge 840 v2 as well as a rega brio 3 and a pioneer a400. The 840A v2 is in another class altogether compared to the brio and a400(as much as i like them both). The 840 v2 has so much more power and natural dynamics which is apparent at all volume levels. It does compare with amps costing a grand tho so you might expect it to be good.

ruivasco

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
tonky said:
The 840A v2 is in another class altogether compared to the brio and a400(as much as i like them both).
Rega is a bit restrained with lack of attack, so the Cambridge is in another league, no?

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I wouldnt say the rega is restrained nor is the 840A forward - it's an amp with far more muscle - it's spacious,clear sounding with unforced dynamics . The a400 and brio become strained at moderate/high listening levels . The 840A has reserves of power in abundance and this is apparent at lower listening volumes.

A

Anonymous

I agree with you entirely! Cambridge 840A is not a bad amp but for my liking it's a kind of dry artificial sound. I'd chosen a word to describe this amp, it would be edgy!

CnoEvil said:
Bright,edgy and aggressive; or fun, lively and detailed - depending on your taste. IMO. They need careful matching to smooth them out. Cno

Although 840A V2 has got plenty of power, its dyanmics is not the best I've heard for mid priced amps. It sounds a bit flat (compressed).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts