cambridge or marantz

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Need help

have a pair of MA RS6 and I need help on new amp and CD. Considering marantz 6003 or cambridge 650a - are there others to consider. Your thoughts pleaese

A

Anonymous

About 4 weeks ago I phoned up Richer sounds and got them to order in the CA 840a V1 (superseded by the £799 v2) for the bargain price of £399. I love it.... it's a big step up from the 640 for near enough the same money if you can get one.

Not heard the 6003, btw

T

the record spot

Jimmy, how would you describe the sound? I've heard things good and bad of the 840, but know it was well reviewed across the board.

A

Anonymous

It sounds fantastic.... but I'm not sure why. (I'm struggling to type with a squirming baby on my lap!) It's produces a vibrant, detailed sound without being too toppy. I noticed a big improvement over its predecessor, a NAD 3020a. It's plugged into a Dacmagic and a Squeezebox. As an experiment I used the balanced XLR output and one of the rca ones. When I toggle between the inputs there seems to be a slight difference in the stereo imaging... not sure why. Apparently the xlr inputs are one of the few tings CA changed on the V2.

I had it running through some really old B&W DM110 speakers, and it produced a fat warm sound. changing to the EB speakers, at first I thought it was too clinical a sound, but now I would describe it as crystal clear. It seems to be a combination that works well for me. Yesterday I had a mate over, a jazz fan and a bit picky. I put on Too Shy by Kajagoogoo (on an 80's electronic anthem cd) without telling him what it was. He agreed that regardless of the music the sound quality was amazing.

I'm pretty happy with both the amp and the speakers.

T

the record spot

That's interesting Jimmy, my old amp (prior to the current Sansui vintage) was a 3020A as well from 1986. Worked well with my existing CDP and speakers, so I think I probably want to steer cleer of anything that's brighter (the Missions have a mesh dome metal tweeter and the Marantz is already a clear and detailed player, so I need to match carefully here).

What's the bass on the 840 like out of interest? Depth plumbing or a bit leaner?

Nice comment re: the baby - our two just turned two recently. They were rubbish for typing on as well...love 'em to bits though!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Swapping from the NAD to the CA made the bass a little tauter, but the biggest change was attaching the EBs. The bass was still super taut and controlled but the sub bass on stuff like Leftfield just rolls out... stuff I'd not heard before. Not overpowering, just right.

(snatching a moment to type here
emotion-5.gif
)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts