Cambridge Magic Stream 6 problem playing 192k files

andrewmillner

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello. I hope someone can help me out.

I have Cambridge MagicStream 6 player which connects over Ethernet to my Netgear ReadyNas Pro and plays with no problem my music stored on my NAS up to 96k.

The problem is with playing 192k files. Whilst it will attempt to play over Ethernet after 2 seconds the music drops out. I expected this as I know I should use USB to play 192k.

This is where I now have a problem. When I plug in the USB port and select the USB option on my magic 6 it shows 48hz but cannot see the media.

I placed a call with Netgear support who said that the USB port on the ReadyNas can only be used for backup purposes. It can only read a USB device that can only be formatted to NTFS, FAT32,Ext3.

It looks like I might not be able to play 192k which I am not happy about.

andrewmillner

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Further to my original post, I have since tried another External HDD (Toshiba) and the Cambridge Magic 6 does recognise it, and is able to stream from it. So potentially it looks like my Netgear ReadyNas will not work with the Cambridge for some reason

However, when I try to play 192k stream, it does attempt to play, but keeps dropping out. It seems to me to be a buffering issue.

If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve, this would be most helpful.

andrewmillner

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
All,

I have also posted in Network Storage, but it seems that after various testing results, the only way to stream 24/192k files is via the Magic Stream 6 USB-B port direct into a USB port on a laptop or desktop which has the Cambridge Audio Windows USB driver installed. Then it should stream fine.

I have yet to test this as I do not have a spare laptop to test it. I expect that it should work, but whether I will need to store the 24/192k files on the laptop HDD or try to connect the laptop over ethernet to my ReadyNas Pro NAS where all my digital music is stored. When I manage to borrow a laptop, then I will find out.

I have contacted Richer Sounds and Cambridge Audio, and I do hope they plan to release a software upgrade to allow the Stream 6 to play 24/192k over ethernet. If they do that, then it will be a cracking streamer for the money!

TRENDING THREADS