Cambridge Evo!!!

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Just seen news if the new Cambridge products. They look great especially with the wooden sides. They seem quite expensive though, disappointed that would need to pay £799 extra for the CD transport. That makes it a lot more than the Quad Arteta.

Anyone have any dates for their release?

They do look nice, not that I'd see the side panels in a rack.
Seems like a nice display, but I always think that level of product deserves a quarter inch headphone socket (though others probably don't care, or wouldn't miss one at all).
Get ready for the 5 star reviews.
modern kit isn't designed to be used in a rack. The transport does indeed seem overpriced but hey ho people will pay I am sure......

Reactions: Gray
Just bought a Naim Uniti Atom 2 days ago and had to buy a new phone stage as my old amp had one built in. Wish I had hung on now but such is life
It’s a super product, and had you wanted a streaming class D device there was always the NAD M10. That also lacks a phono stage, but does have Dirac to calibrate your room. And I’m sure the Cambridge isn’t made in the UK! But it does look great from the pictures I’ve seen so far.

manicm

It’s a super product, and had you wanted a streaming class D device there was always the NAD M10. That also lacks a phono stage, but does have Dirac to calibrate your room. And I’m sure the Cambridge isn’t made in the UK! But it does look great from the pictures I’ve seen so far.

And where do you think the NAD M10 is made, ‘o wise one? If anyone was thinking of the M10 for MQA I’d wait for Evo, because at the price the M10 is bettered for sound from most reviews I’ve watched/read.

And where do you think the NAD M10 is made, ‘o wise one? If anyone was thinking of the M10 for MQA I’d wait for Evo, because at the price the M10 is bettered for sound from most reviews I’ve watched/read.
Obviously the NAD is the typical designed in x, made in PRC, just like my Primare is.
The NAD seems to be more aimed at versatility, usability and style than outright sound, but it’s still very respectable by all accounts. I agree it’s by no means a purist design, but then neither is the Atom. ( I’d certainly not want the NAD for the pointless MQA, but that’s another story!)
The best reason to choose the NAD over and Atom or the new Evo might be for the Dirac, if you have a compromised room. (The editor of Stereophile bought the one he tested).

Last edited:

manicm

Obviously the NAD is the typical designed in x, made in PRC, just like my Primare is.
The NAD seems to be more aimed at versatility, usability and style than outright sound, but it’s still very respectable by all accounts. I agree it’s by no means a purist design, but then neither is the Atom. ( I’d certainly not want the NAD for the pointless MQA, but that’s another story!)
The best reason to choose the NAD over and Atom or the new Evo might be for the Dirac, if you have a compromised room. (The editor of Stereophile bought the one he tested).

Dirac Shmirac. The Atom sounds far superior to the M10. And in most events systems like these will be used with smaller speakers largely negating the need for room correction systems.

Reactions: Al ears

rainsoothe

It might to a Naim buyer, as being made in Salisbury is one of their USPs, surely? But perhaps I had the changing nationality thread still on my mind.
In all my internet trolling I've seen way more Rega QC posts than Lumin or Topping, for instance, imo the "chinese built = crap" stereotype is less relevant nowadays, at least with known manufacturers (like Rega :p).

My Naim Nac N172xs and my mother's Uniti 2 screens are dead, by the way, a fault Naim knew about but didn't want to cover unless threatened with lawsuit. Mine died in 3 years (didn't bother registering it for 5y warranty, 'cause I said to myself "what can go wrong with this expensive, well made, luxury product?"). Now it costs 500 pounds to be serviced by Naim, and you can only do it there. I love their amps, I love how Rega turntables sound, but goes to show the country is irrelevant, it's company related.

In all my internet trolling I've seen way more Rega QC posts than Lumin or Topping, for instance, imo the "chinese built = crap" stereotype is less relevant nowadays, at least with known manufacturers (like Rega :p).

My Naim Nac N172xs and my mother's Uniti 2 screens are dead, by the way, a fault Naim knew about but didn't want to cover unless threatened with lawsuit. Mine died in 3 years (didn't bother registering it for 5y warranty, 'cause I said to myself "what can go wrong with this expensive, well made, luxury product?"). Now it costs 500 pounds to be serviced by Naim, and you can only do it there. I love their amps, I love how Rega turntables sound, but goes to show the country is irrelevant, it's company related.
Think you hit the nail on the head there.....

Reactions: rainsoothe
D

Deleted member 188533

I'd go one further. I'd even say that China is driving audio innovation right now. Companies like Topping, Aune and SMSL are pushing the limits with 'perfect' measuring devices for WAY less money than was possible even a few years ago. They pay attention to consumer feedback as well. They all have official reps that post on the audiosciencereview forum among others. They don't cherry pick products that go out for review and they immediately correct imperfections in designs. So you might not want to buy a new DAC or amp from them the first month it is released but by the time it's been around long enough for some real teardowns and reviews they have a competent product.

rainsoothe

I think we are moving a little too far away from the first post here.....
Let's keep on track shall we?
Personally I prefer the textured Richlite side panels.
It's meant to be displayed not hidden in a rack......
That's on me, sorry, OP. They look great, imo, and after my experience with the Cyrus One HD, I'm only a class D doubter, instead of a non-believer :)

Dirac Shmirac. The Atom sounds far superior to the M10. And in most events systems like these will be used with smaller speakers largely negating the need for room correction systems.
Well I’m sure that @Danny-Leeds will be reassured that his Atom was a good buy then.
I get your point about smaller speakers, though you’ll see the good results obtained in the review I quoted. Horses for course and all that!

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
modern kit isn't designed to be used in a rack. The transport does indeed seem overpriced but hey ho people will pay I am sure......
Then where is it meant to be used? Things were better in my day where they? Sounds like old man moaning to me. Lots of hi fi is expensive so nothing new there. It will be the right price to someone and be worth every penny they will spend on it to them.

Then where is it meant to be used? Things were better in my day where they? Sounds like old man moaning to me. Lots of hi fi is expensive so nothing new there. It will be the right price to someone and be worth every penny they will spend on it to them.
I wasn't the first to say it was overpriced. You want to buy it go ahead by all means. Fool and his money springs to mind occasionally. Plus I never mentioned things being better in my day.
Where it is meant to be used is pretty obvious to those that look at the photos and brochures that are in abundance and the elegant side cheeks are a bit of a giveaway, us old men look at these things that are obviously overlooked by the yoof of today.

manicm

I wasn't the first to say it was overpriced. You want to buy it go ahead by all means. Fool and his money springs to mind occasionally. Plus I never mentioned things being better in my day.
Where it is meant to be used is pretty obvious to those that look at the photos and brochures that are in abundance and the elegant side cheeks are a bit of a giveaway, us old men look at these things that are obviously overlooked by the yoof of today.

Lost a thread a bit, but assuming you’re talking about the Evo, overpriced compared to what? The M10? The Atom? Linn Majik DSM?. And it uses Hypex amp modules, so its parts are not cheap.

Many like myself want an acceptable compromise for reduced box count, and if this can provide it - and I believe CA will - then great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts