Cambridge CXA81 versus Rega Elex R

ast2312

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Hi All,

Just wanted to get some views on the new Cambridge CXA81 amplifier versus the Rega Elex R.

I plan to use in a small room with Monitor Audio Silver 50's. My preference is for little colouration but high levels of detail and solid bass control (never easy trying to describe these things!)

I am in two minds, the older Rega has rave reviews going back to its launch with plenty of pedigree. The new Cambridge seems to very highly rated and have also seen the What Hifi reviews and comparisons. As I am using the Bluesound DAC I won't be needing all the features so this is a pure amp versus amp question.

Any view will be much appreciated.

ast2312

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Hi Al ears, the source is just a blue sound as I have converted all my music to digital. I am however interested in seeing how MQA works out and the blue sound can decode that.

As good as the Cambridge is on paper I can't help feeling I am paying for a lot of features I will not use. The Rega is more limited in features, a pure amplifier.

I guess the reason for these 2 alone is just the price point and some limited research.

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Morning Ast2312, I have the 81 and find it to be absolutely fantastic. Had it a few weeks and and can honestly say when paired with the right speakers the musicality is superb. It really has the toe tapping enjoyment aspect sewn up. Quite coloured toward the top end so not the most accurate if it's an analytical sound your after. There is a great review on YouTube by Zero Fidelity where his opinion is that pairing it with Monitor Audio may not be the best as both are on the brightside. You may want to consider that. Very good amp tho, plug and play. Never thought I'd use the Bluetooth, but it is really very good.

ast2312

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Thanks Rollo and good feedback for the CXA81. One of the other amps I have just seen which could be worth a consideration is Marantz PM8006 - any experimental of this amp anyone?

I believe the Marantz is a very good amplifier, not sure how it would gel with your speakers though as not heard it with MAs.
If you can stretch your budget or find one ex demo or second-hand I would strongly recommend the Roksan K3 integrated.

Ris101

May 16, 2020
Visit site
I've got the rega elex-r, it is as described in the reviews. It just sounds so good, I spent years with cyrus gear before hand and can't compare it. I use it with b&w 786, and bluesound node 2i a. Built in phono stage is a look very good. It's so musical, detailed and warm sound. Always gets my foot tapping ☺️

Gray

I've got the rega elex-r, it is as described in the reviews. It just sounds so good, I spent years with cyrus gear before hand and can't compare it. I use it with b&w 786, and bluesound node 2i a. Built in phono stage is a look very good. It's so musical, detailed and warm sound. Always gets my foot tapping ☺
Glad you're happy (I spent a short time on final test of amps in Rega's factory).
I use a Cyrus amp. I like it because it's not a warm sound :)
It's massively detailed too (But then I know you didn't say your Cyrus wasn't detailed - if anyone finds Cyrus lacking in detail, they've got problems).

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts