Cambridge CXA61 binding post issue

Adam W.

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently attempted to install a new set of speaker cables and realized one of the binding posts was broken. It would spin infinitely instead of loosening or tightening.

The binding post next to it did loosen but wouldn’t fully tighten. The others seemed to be OK.

I returned it today (via UPS) and currently waiting for a replacement. In fact, I’m actually replacing it with the CXA81 instead.

Did I just get unlucky or is this a common problem with some binding posts?

Hi all,

I recently attempted to install a new set of speaker cables and realized one of the binding posts was broken. It would spin infinitely instead of loosening or tightening.

The binding post next to it did loosen but wouldn’t fully tighten. The others seemed to be OK.

I returned it today (via UPS) and currently waiting for a replacement. In fact, I’m actually replacing it with the CXA81 instead.

Did I just get unlucky or is this a common problem with some binding posts?
Cannot say I have experienced it with any of my amplifiers, however you have to be careful never to overtighten. Also, I have never owned a Cambridge.
If in doubt get cables terminated with banana plugs.

Adam W.

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
No, the binding posts have to be screwed in just like others I've used in the past. It does seem very odd.

I realized the post was loose when I removed the banana plug. I attempted to tighten it using a normal amount of force, certainly not enough to damage it, but it just turned freely in both directions without tightening or loosening.

I had the amp for just a few weeks and hadn't touched the binding posts other than to remove the caps blocking the holes and insert banana plugs.

No, the binding posts have to be screwed in just like others I've used in the past. It does seem very odd.

I realized the post was loose when I removed the banana plug. I attempted to tighten it using a normal amount of force, certainly not enough to damage it, but it just turned freely in both directions without tightening or loosening.

I had the amp for just a few weeks and hadn't touched the binding posts other than to remove the caps blocking the holes and insert banana plugs.
Certainly sounds like Cambridge have QC issues if this amp was bought new.

TRENDING THREADS