Cambridge Audio with Monitor Audio BX5 speakers?

DJH1982

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello - I'm thinking of getting some Cambridge Audio equipment (351A amp etc) with Monitor Audio BX5 speakers. Any views - is this a good or bad idea?! Many thanks

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
DJH1982 said:
Hello - I'm thinking of getting some Cambridge Audio equipment (351A amp etc) with Monitor Audio BX5 speakers. Any views - is this a good or bad idea?! Many thanks

Hi,

and welcome to the forum!

Do you have any of the equipment abouve, or are you going to buy everithing?

What will be your source? CD, ipod, NAS, PC...

:cheers:

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Not heard the combination, but due to them both having a reputation for potential brightness I'd definitely audition before buying just to be sure they work well together.

DJH1982

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi - I've had some initial advice. Going to be buying everything. In terms of inputs - a complex mix of CDs, iPod and tuner. Thanks very much for your message!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
DJH1982 said:
Hi - I've had some initial advice. Going to be buying everything. In terms of inputs - a complex mix of CDs, iPod and tuner. Thanks very much for your message!

Ok, in that case I've to agree to the opinion abouve, I think not so good combo...

If you want to keep the MA BX5 look at Arcam A18 that at this point can be bought for a bargain, as i've saw in other threads today in this forum, or NAD 326 BEE a lovely amp for the price, i've demo with MA RX6, and almouts bought the two!

I've in my bed room system a NAD 3020i with MA RS1 with SBT and the system produce a lovely sound!

:cheers:

Pagmed

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello. I have the BX5's currently paired with a Denon AVR. Previously used them with a Marantz 6004. While the sound was good enough, they never sounded the way they do with the 90 watts RMS Denon. Although they are fairly efficient speakers, they seem to need more power to get the best out of them. If you like the Monitor Audio sound( which I love by the way) I would look to the BX2's or the RX1's. The latter being a more refined speaker overall, well behaved highs and punchier bass.

DJH1982 said:

From my experience of Cambridge and Monitor Audio I'd say not. As mentioned before Cambridge is fairly lively in presentation, and added to Monitor Audio's hard domed tweeter, you could end up with a combo that's testing on the ears. It could work if your sources (BIG 'IF') are smooth/warm and you have decent room acoustics.

If you're set on Monitor Audio speakers, which are system sensitive, I would look at Arcam, Marantz, Creek...

Should you be jollied up by Cambridge amps look at Kef IQ50, Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 or Mezzo, Dali, Epos or entry-level Dynaudio.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts