Cambridge Audio Stream Magic Users

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking of a future possible upgrade to add streaming to my system. I already use Airplay to an Airport Express, which is OK but doesn't sound as good as I think the system is capable of.

All I need is a pure streamer - no DAC is necessary unless its better than what I already have (Naim SuperNait).

I am looking at the Cambridge Audio NP30 and StreamMagic 6 streamers. They both use the Stream Magic app for iOS. As this would be my primary control point, I was wondering what existing users thought of it? I recently demoed a Pioneer N30, good hardware, but atrocious app so I had to send it back.

richie60

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Oh no! I just took the plunge and have a Pioneer N50 on order, hoping this will be a good upgrade from the SB Touch I currently have. What appeals to me is having a one box solution that also looks like a piece of HiFi.

I wasn't prepared to spend the £699 asking price for the Stream magic 6.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the Pioneer app is diabolical - the only thing it has going for it is Gapless Playback. The Pioneer N30/N50 can only do Gapless Playback through it's own app.

There are much better UPnP apps out there (I use iPhone) such as mConnect, media:connect and Linn's Kinsky but they don't support Gapless. I thought I would be able to live with it but as I listen to a lot of mix compilations, the gaps started to drive me nuts.

Its a shame because the hardware is really nice.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
wilro15 said:
I am thinking of a future possible upgrade to add streaming to my system. I already use Airplay to an Airport Express, which is OK but doesn't sound as good as I think the system is capable of.

The Airport Express measures practically ruler flat and its levels of jitter are of no consequence as they are below audible levels. It is certainly not a limitation to your system.

shaunj_uk

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I have the Cambridge Audio NP30, and use the StreamMagic app (well, try too!!). Most of the time it will not connect with the streamer- basically, the app is a load of rubbish!! On the odd occasion it connects, its actually pretty good, just a shame it cannot connect most of the time. Its a shame, as the streamer is superb!!

Hope this helps

Shaun

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! I'm considering the SM6, which uses the same app. Are you using Wifi to connect the NP30 to your network?

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
wilro15 said:
Nobody has any experience of the Cambridge Audio StreamMagic app?

I've experience of the Android version and it's a piece of pooh! When it decides to work it's actually good, but more often than not it fails to find my NP30 or if it does it will just freeze. Just go over to Google Play site and look at the reviews for the app. It's really a shame as the NP30 itself is pretty good though the display is not too refined! I tend to operate mine from the front display and remote. I've tried other apps such as bubble UPNP which works better but doesn't have the full functionality of the CA app. It's just a shame they can't seem to get it to work reliably.

I'm connected my NP30 wirelesslly BTW

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to think I'll have to buy the Naim ND5 XS just to get a decent app, but £2000 for a fricking app is ludicrous! The app is very important as that is how I want to use it.

It seems only Naim, Linn and Cyrus can do decent apps. :-(

Hi,

I've had a SM6 for about a month now and by far the app is the worst part of the streamer. I've tried it on Android and Apple and to be fair the Apple app is far better. It is more reliable and offers an album/artist option were as the android version does not. Also with apple it picks up your play lists but you cannot create a playlist form the app. It's my first experience with a streamer so I don't know what is normal and what is not. Using either itunes or android music player, you can add tracks either to play next or add to queue on the fly. This does not seem possible with the SM6.

What makes things worse for me is that I'm not that impressed with the sonic performance of the analogue output and I'm using an outboard DAC. This leaves me wondering what is the point of the SM6 since I can use my mac book pro or any laptop to manage my music and connect to the outboard DAC. This seems a much cheaper way of streaming music and much more versitile.

MAD

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I've had a SM6 for about nine months and I think the app is the worst part of the streamer. I have the IOS app on my iphone and Ipad and I've had never conectivity problems, it always works in both devices. I suggest to connect the SM6 by wire instead by WIFI.

rainsoothe

how about the Simaudio Mind? I haven't used it or anything, but all the feedback about it is positive, and Simaudio builds excellent gear. It doesn't have a DAC though, it's just a streamer that... streams :)

iMark

Since you already own an Airport Express I would recommend connecting it to a seperate DAC through the optical out. We bought a Cambridge Audio DACMagic years ago and both the Airport Express and all sources routed via the TV sound wonderful. I'm sure there are better DACs now, but we really like the sound of the DACMagic.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
After much too-ing and fro-ing I ended up with a Naim ND5 XS that was a 2nd hand unit so got a discount. The ND5 XS plus SuperNait is a big step up over the Airport Express plus SuperNait (and so it should be considering the cost difference!). Naim's app (nStream) is pretty good too - on par with Apple Remote app.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts