Cambridge Audio Stream magic 6?

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Think this might be the product i have waiting for as np30 not be good enough to match with other sources. Does WHF know when this product will be reviewed?

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Ah right. Because i really like the np30 already in my mind was waiting for something that littlbit better and namd it the NP60 was just waiting for them to make it. Then i saw the strem magicin mag in whs an thought there it is. although still need to audition it. How do you find it?

John Duncan

I'm duty bound to leave comment on audio quality until it's production-ready and the experts have had a go, but I've found it excellent functionality-wise. You can think of it as an NP30 with a DACMagic built in, and the build quality's top notch. Some might wish for Spotify or Airplay on board, but I already had an Airport Express so could do all that anyway by using its optical in. The iPad app is very good, and I hear there's an Android one coming by the time it goes on sale.

It's got some strong competition though, so it'll be interesting to see how it fares sonically against, in particular, the new, somewhat cheaper, Pioneer N-50 (that OLED screen looks nice...). If you're looking for balanced outputs though, or want to integrate it into an Azur system, it's pretty compelling.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I will look out fo both products, also glad to here an android app is on the way. Do you know if the pioneer has an app?

SteveR750

John Duncan said:
I'm duty bound to leave comment on audio quality until it's production-ready and the experts have had a go, but I've found it excellent functionality-wise. You can think of it as an NP30 with a DACMagic built in, and the build quality's top notch. Some might wish for Spotify or Airplay on board, but I already had an Airport Express so could do all that anyway by using its optical in. The iPad app is very good, and I hear there's an Android one coming by the time it goes on sale.

It's got some strong competition though, so it'll be interesting to see how it fares sonically against, in particular, the new, somewhat cheaper, Pioneer N-50 (that OLED screen looks nice...). If you're looking for balanced outputs though, or want to integrate it into an Azur system, it's pretty compelling.

still?

Um :oops:

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for all your interest.

We’re still a few weeks away from UK launch and in regular contact with the editorial team to ensure they get their hands on one of the first production models.

Keep an eye on our site over the coming weeks for more info on the Stream Magic 6.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
You can think of it as an NP30 with a DACMagic built in, and the build quality's top notch.

Just to clarify, you can think of it as an NP30 with a DacMagic Plus built in.

A

Anonymous

Will you be giving audiophiles a chance at a separate music server that will process hirez files but without the DAC internally? I am looking at this, thinking that this will be something very good for multiroom if you bring its price down by taking the cost of the DAC out. It gives people who have your dacmagic, or want your dacmagic or have another Dac in mind more flexibility and lower costs for multiroom.

Will the amp function with any cambridge audio amp with remote connection inputs?

Thanks for your time.

A

Anonymous

Hi! I'm currently looking for a network streamer with the ability to stream HD-flac files (24/96, 192/24) and I read the test you had with Maranzt 7004, Pioneer N-50 and Cambridge Audio NP30.

I have been looking at the N-50 and CA Stream Magic 6, so it would be really nice to see a test where you compare theses two head to head.

What concerns me is that none of the streamers seem to have a fast forward funktion or a "seek in time"-slider on the mobile app but also the fact that this issue havent been raised in any way during the tests in What HiFi.

I'm looking for a streamer in this range but haven't found any where I can "fast forward" in any way. I have tested the N-50 and Stream Magic 6, both at home and still dont have an idea of why there have been no focus on this in reviews or in implementing it. I know Linn Majik DSI/DSM have this function but that is in a whole other price range.

Any comments or tips on streamer? Or any comments from the manufactors on why this havent been implemented?

/Henrik

CambridgeAudioCare

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
To be clear, skip within track is something that sounds simple but is pretty tricky to implement. When a file is usually viewed over a network, there is no requirement to suddenly access a specific point in it (or if there is, it is a strutural part of the viewing system as in Word or Excel) and as such track skip is not part of the UPnP standard. That isn't to say that such a feature isn't being worked on but it is not correct to say that it has been "left out."

A

Anonymous

@SteveR750, How are you controlling your Stram Magic? Is is possible that you controll it from your computer? I'm looking for a way to seek in time via an iOS/Android app and not via the computer using the Stream Magic just as a DAC.

I have a Linux NAS with UPnP/DLNA software installed, a wired connection to the streamer and an iOS device (with official app) for controlling the streamer. And with this setup it is not possible to fast forwarding (read: seek/slide in time).

@CambridgeAudioCare. Thanks for your reply. I'm looking forward in reading more about this from you since this is one of my requirements for a network streamer. I'm using this function quite often in all other music players and beeing without it would give me the feeling that something is really missing for me.

@John Duncan, Do you know why this was left out in the Network Streamer test? Not mentioning anything about problems with fast forwarding within UPnP (when testing functionallity of the streamer). Is it just me or is this a function so rarely beeing used that only I noticed it? :)

Thanks for all your replys, and please post if you have more news.

A

Anonymous

CambridgeAudioCare said:
To be clear, skip within track is something that sounds simple but is pretty tricky to implement. When a file is usually viewed over a network, there is no requirement to suddenly access a specific point in it ...

and what about playing from USB device (hard/flashdisk) ? there is no such limitation and both gapless and rewind inside track are not possible too (?)

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

I'm considering to purchase a Magic 6; as I'm a bit new to streamers I was just wondering:

My 751BD is able to stream (is that actually true?) as well, but doesn't seem to support all kinds of audio formats as some files play and some don't. So, question: Will I be able to stream (pretty much) any audio format with the Magic 6 from my UPnP/DLNA enabled NAS?

Many thanks,

Walter

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply; I actually found out (litterally 10 minutes ago!) that it was a misconfiguration with my NAS drive! Now suddenly the need for a dedicated streamer could fade away... However, I'm still convinced that something like the Magic 6 overrules the streaming capabilities of the BD751, would it not?

John Duncan

I think I think in order to make a fair assessment of the two you need to consider the following:

- the size and shape of your library. If your library is reasonably small and in a good state in terms of folder structure then the 751BD works well

- playlists. If you use them a lot, the 751BD will let you down; I haven't played with playlists too much but you really only have the option to add one song at a time as far as I can tell. I can't remember either whether it can recognise playlists on the UPnP server.

- other services. The StreamMagic has internet radio which I find very useful, whilst the 751BD does not. It also has a couple of other streaming services, but sadly no Spotify which would make it perfect :)

- DAC functionality. The SM has USB, coax and optical inputs, which I use to plug an Airport Express into, which serves my Spotify needs via Airplay.

- Sound quality. The 751BD is terrific in stereo, but you may find on audition that the SM sounds better. I personally wouldn't buy the SM over the BD on audio grounds alone though.

CambridgeAudioCare

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
bh69 said:
and what about playing from USB device (hard/flashdisk) ? there is no such limitation and both gapless and rewind inside track are not possible too (?)

Only that we use the same playback system for both and it was primarily designed for network playback first and foremost. As and when it is added to the functionality for network audio playback, it should appear on USB playback too.

Regards

CA

A

Anonymous

Well, you mention already 3 good arguments to justify a purchase:

- playlists;

- optical input from my TV (which then can go further into my, yet to get, new 851A using the unbalanced connection);

- and yes, Internet radio

Didn't know about the better sound quality though?

A

Anonymous

wtbril said:
Well, you mention already 3 good arguments to justify a purchase:

- playlists;

- optical input from my TV (which then can go further into my, yet to get, new 851A using the unbalanced connection);

- and yes, Internet radio

John Duncan

wtbril said:

You mean balanced?

wtbril said:

I don't make any claims for better stereo sound quality of one or the other. In theory the SM6 should be better in very revealing systems, but I can't say that I've noticed the difference when doing quick A/Bs; they both sound great to me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts