Cambridge audio Edge line up

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I just came across this news that Cambridge audio are coming out with the edge products which will be a Power amplifier , class A amplifier ,Pre-+ streamer

Pretty pricey but looks very nice and the build quality looks good too and it’s to celebrate Cambridge audio’s 50 years

I was looking at the current Cambridge Audio streamer there flagship model and happened to find the Edge products which are out in June going by the website

I was wondering about the new Pre- streamer whether this would be any good it’s prce is £3500 and will play anything and it upstreams what ever you listen to

here’s a video https://youtu.be/3eHCh-O5n6E

It’s quite hard to find meaningful reviews of streamers much beyond the £1000 to £1500 mark, and certainly not comparing the intrinsic sound quality. If I’ve missed any, please shout!

There are so many permutations too: - some have a built in DAC, when others don’t; some have good supporting apps; some have native streaming from particular companies only; some have decent screens, but most don’t; some have built in rippers, most don’t; some have on board storage; and so on!

The new Cambridge models look potentially great, but they’ll need to be at that price level.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CA make solid products, so will be worth bearing in mind for an audition.

First you should hear their Streamer and see what you think of it.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Might have been designed to partner their matching power amp. So you might be paying big bucks for a pre amp stage that you don't need.

The present Cambridge audio azur 851 N is a mighty good streamer going by the reviews. But it also has a pre amp functionality. Not exactly a streamer + DAC that you are looking for. Besides I feel 3500 pounds is too much to invest in a streamer.

A little while back, I was reading about the 'allo digi one' which handsomely beats a auralic Aries mini in sound quality as a streamer. And only costs 90 pounds vs the aries's 600 pounds. So I've honestly lost all appetite to spend big bucks on a streamer now. Everything is changing so fast every day :)

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I really like CA produtcs, and am pretty sure these will be great, however with their prices they have to compete agains Primare i35, Mcintosh 5200/5300 , Luxman 505 and many other great amps. Still, I will go for an audition asap.

insider9

newlash09 said:
A little while back, I was reading about the 'allo digi one' which handsomely beats a auralic Aries mini in sound quality as a streamer. And only costs 90 pounds vs the aries's 600 pounds. So I've honestly lost all appetite to spend big bucks on a streamer now. Everything is changing so fast every day :)

That's a board for Raspberry Pi isn't it? Read great stuff about it too but that still leaves you with deciding what software to run and from memory that was all digital so would need to connect it to a DAC. By the time you add the cost of Pi, DAC and software it may be cheaper and definitely easier to get that Auralic. Just saying ;)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
newlash09 said:

That's a board for Raspberry Pi isn't it? Read great stuff about it too but that still leaves you with deciding what software to run and from memory that was all digital so would need to connect it to a DAC. By the time you add the cost of Pi, DAC and software it may be cheaper and definitely easier to get that Auralic. Just saying ;)

The allo digione needs a pi to team with. But a bundled allo digione player is available for 170 pounds. Which includes the pi and dedicated power supply too.

In the two reviews I read comparing the allo digi one to the aries mini, they only compared them as digital transports.

But the allo digione sadly doesn't come with a player software as you mentioned. Looks like it will be worth my time and money to learn some software, if I want to continue being in this hobby, and not end up spending big money :)

insider9

A friend of mine is going through exactly the same process at present. One minute he wants to run audiophile Linux next it's Windows with Fidelizer. And that's just the OS. Players even more frustrating.

End of the day it's only going to be as good as the software. This is what can either enhance your experience or make it a frustrating and almost a chore. If I didn't use Roon I'd look at Audirvana which is supposedly coming to Windows.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
newlash09 said:

That's a board for Raspberry Pi isn't it? Read great stuff about it too but that still leaves you with deciding what software to run and from memory that was all digital so would need to connect it to a DAC. By the time you add the cost of Pi, DAC and software it may be cheaper and definitely easier to get that Auralic. Just saying ;)

Good piece of kit.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Might have been designed to partner their matching power amp. So you might be paying big bucks for a pre amp stage that you don't need.

The present Cambridge audio azur 851 N is a mighty good streamer going by the reviews. But it also has a pre amp functionality. Not exactly a streamer + DAC that you are looking for. Besides I feel 3500 pounds is too much to invest in a streamer.

yes i do like the look of the Cambridge 851 N and i have seen them on ebay for around a £1000

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts