Cambridge Audio CXA81

doifeellucky

I’d imagine absolutely nothing. A significant proportion of the reviews on this site get recycled at some point in the future. They typically don’t even update the dates in the article to reflect the current date. Pretty questionable from an editorial standpoint.

Konchog

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Cambridge Audio opted for a ground-up rebuild for its CXA81 amp – and it has created a thing of lasting beauty.

Cambridge Audio CXA81 : Read more

Additional comments for those who are considering purchasing this as a part of a CX stack including CXNv2 for a home/network audio system.

Having spent the last few days talking with Cambridge Audio, I think it's fair to say that, if you are thinking of getting this to go with the CXNv2 you will be disappointed by the lack of compatibility in the CX range.

There is a really nice combined remote control. The problem with it is that the volume control of the remote will affect both the Pre-Amp on the CXNv2 as well as the volume of the amplifier. Therefore, if you are intending on using the remote control, you will need to turn off the pre-amp settings on your CXNv2, but if you turn off the pre-amp you will have no (literally zero) ability to modify volume via any connected apps such as Airplay. StreamMagic may have very limited volume control, if you are lucky.

Despite the fact that the manual (Page 11 CXA81, third paragraph) suggests that the control bus will allow you to use apps to control the CXA61, this is apparently not true. The engineers have confirmed in writing that there is no ability for the CX series of amplifiers to respond to volume control via the control bus.

So, if you are looking for a device which is multi-room, network ready - you may wish to look elsewhere. If you are looking for an amplifier to go with your CXNv2, you may wish to look elsewhere (probably just buy a power amp and let the CXNv2 pre-amp handle volume).

MacDonals

Jan 15, 2022
Visit site
I'm considering getting this amp, but a comment in the review made me wonder. When they updated this, Cambridge Audio removed the tone control knob. Was the feature removed, or just the knob? I'd like to be able to adjust bass and treble, but I don't see that feature.

Konchog

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I'm considering getting this amp, but a comment in the review made me wonder. When they updated this, Cambridge Audio removed the tone control knob. Was the feature removed, or just the knob? I'd like to be able to adjust bass and treble, but I don't see that feature.
No tone control. Neither the knob nor on the remote nor via the proprietary control bus.

Reactions: MacDonals

Mindhead1

Dec 13, 2022
Visit site
It’s a great amp. No tone controls needed. The amp sounds great with all speakers I’ve tried with it. Those include the Klipsch rp160m, RSL CG25, and Triangle Comete Ez.

Paired with the CXNV2 you have a great looking stack that can hold it’s own sound wise with any streaming based system in the $2k to $5k range.

The DAC in the CXA81 is decen. On par with any stand alone DAC in the $100-$200 range. It scales well with higher end sources.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts