Cambridge Audio CXA61 and Elac debut DBR62

BNABOD

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
I am very new to this hobby and must say it is rather overwhelming.
I have narrowed down my AMP to be the Cambridge CXA61 and speaker wise I have been looking at the ELAC debut DBR62 AND the B&W 606 and possibly the Triangle BOREA BR03 with a decent set of stands. The room it is going in is 3000 ft3 (8 ft ceiling)

One thing I have noticed is that you need to match the speaker to the amp and the Debut is 6 ohms vs the B&W/Triangle are 8ohms.
the web site for Cambridge says this

POWER OUTPUT
60W RMS into 8 Ohms, 90W RMS into 4 Ohms

So my question is would the Debut work? would the sound be impact being 6 ohms.

I am looking to listen to mostly classical baroque music but tbh I hit all genre of music but I like a deep sound if that makes any sense for classical.
any help is welcomed.

thanks for the help

D

Deleted member 116933

Hi there and welcome!

The simple answer is yes it will work no the problem. But you'll have to audition to make sure they are able to fill your space with sound.

Don't worry about the numbers to much!, enjoy your new setup

Reactions: BNABOD

BNABOD

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
Hi there and welcome!

The simple answer is yes it will work no the problem. But you'll have to audition to make sure they are able to fill your space with sound.

Don't worry about the numbers to much!, enjoy your new setup

that is my only worry is that the room could be too big for the speakers but then I read that the size of the speaker doesn't commensurate with filling the room w sound either so it is a bit tricky. I went to best buy to listen to various sound systems and while you can tell the difference in the store it is a different ball game when it is brought into your house....as in it may no longer work as you heard it at the store.....

D

Deleted member 116933

that is my only worry is that the room could be too big for the speakers but then I read that the size of the speaker doesn't commensurate with filling the room w sound either so it is a bit tricky. I went to best buy to listen to various sound systems and while you can tell the difference in the store it is a different ball game when it is brought into your house....as in it may no longer work as you heard it at the store.....

Your right there are many factors that come into play, If you can arrange a home audition do so even if you have to lay a small refundable deposit this where the smaller dealers are more accommodating than the big box stores.

If you can't make sure they have a robust returns policy.

BNABOD

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
Your right there are many factors that come into play, If you can arrange a home audition do so even if you have to lay a small refundable deposit this where the smaller dealers are more accommodating than the big box stores.

If you can't make sure they have a robust returns policy.

one more question I have been looking at Dynaudio Stand 10 speaker stands.
are they universal so the ELAC debut would stay on them? I think the answer is yes but would be good to know for sure. also are there any other Stand recommendations?

What's the length and breadth of your room. Perhaps floorstanders might be more appropriate by the time you factor in cost of speakers and stands
Why spend almost as much on the speaker stands as the speakers themselves, for £700 you could just get a decent floorstander.

BNABOD

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
What's the length and breadth of your room. Perhaps floorstanders might be more appropriate by the time you factor in cost of speakers and stands
Why spend almost as much on the speaker stands as the speakers themselves, for £700 you could just get a decent floorstander.

So the room is 14 feet wide roughly 24 feet long and 8 ft ceiling and hardwood flooring .

Last edited:

BNABOD

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
Could you explain why you need standmount speakers in a room that size?
The Evo 4.2 is £600 and by the Tommie you add a decent pair off stands that's up towards £900.
Maybe or consider the Dali Oberon 5 floorstanders would be my suggestion.

no particular reason, at first I was looking at quality vs price and size but then everyone mentioned stands so started looking at that and you are correct once you add the price of stands to a bookshelf then you are close to floorstanders. Also felt the room wasn't that big and that bookshelf would do the trick but the room isn't that small. Let me check out the Dali. thanks for the advice

no particular reason, at first I was looking at quality vs price and size but then everyone mentioned stands so started looking at that and you are correct once you add the price of stands to a bookshelf then you are close to floorstanders. Also felt the room wasn't that big and that bookshelf would do the trick but the room isn't that small. Let me check out the Dali. thanks for the advice
Good move. If you can try to audition at home or in a room of similar size.
My EB2 standmounts would struggle to fill a room of your size.

BNABOD

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
question for all of you since all my audio files are on my laptop what's the best way to get the best sound to my amp and speakers from the digital files? I have HD files stored there.
The camb amp has a built in dac so do I need to hook up a USB dac between the laptop and the amp OR do I just go direct from the laptop to the AMP via 3.5mm cable? seems to me you just go direct but is there anything that can be done so I get the best quality through?

Last edited:

rainsoothe

question for all of you since all my audio files are on my laptop what's the best way to get the best sound to my amp and speakers from the digital files? I have HD files stored there.
The camb amp has a built in dac so do I need to hook up a USB dac between the laptop and the amp OR do I just go direct from the laptop to the AMP via 3.5mm cable? seems to me you just go direct but is there anything that can be done so I get the best quality through?
You don't need to hook up a DAC between the laptop and the DAC in the amp, you just need a USB cable that has a USB Type A plug at one end (the normal kind you see in computer peripherals) and Type B at the other end (which goes into the CXA61's USB input (the square-ish one).

Reactions: BNABOD and Gray

BNABOD

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
You don't need to hook up a DAC between the laptop and the DAC in the amp, you just need a USB cable that has a USB Type A plug at one end (the normal kind you see in computer peripherals) and Type B at the other end (which goes into the CXA61's USB input (the square-ish one).
Thanks , so I can’t use 3.5mm audio cable ? is it better to us the usb ?

D

Deleted member 108165

I believe if you use the 3.5mm audio cable you will be using the DAC in your PC. Via USB from your PC to amp you will be using the DAC in the amp, this is the preferred connection for playing audio files, let the better DAC in the amp do the conversion to analogue.

BNABOD

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
Ok so I must be a complete moron . I have the amp I have the speakers I have the ab usb cable and speaker cables .
It is all hooked up the amp fires up BUT I get no sound in the speakers.
My laptop is hoooked to the amp via the ab usb
When I plug in my headphone into the amp direct I get music so clearly the connection to the amp from the computer works BUT nothing out of the speakers ....
What in the hell? Maybe it is the computer setting, but so far I have not figured it out . The computer speaker settings will show “2 cxa61 “
So I am at a loss here

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts