Cambridge Audio blu ray players manufactured by Oppo?

Does this finally confirm it?

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/showpage.html?name=AZSQ.E222192&ccnshorttitle=Audio/Video+Apparatus&objid=1075798402&cfgid=1073741824&version=versionless&parent_id=1073984370&sequence=1

This is a link to the UL manufacturer certification for players manufactured by GUANGDONG OPPO MOBILE TELECOMMUNICATIONS CORP LTD -

"Blu-ray Disc Player, Model(s) azur 650BD, azur 651BD, azur 751BD, BDP-103, BDP-80, BDP-83, BDP-83SE, BDP-93, BDP-95

Last Updated on 2012-04-12"

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
not really surprising.

There are not that many manufacturing plants and this is even more common with so called audiophile grade pc's - ie standard parts put in fancy housing and large markup.

Hence, kind of makes one chuckle when you see reviews of equipment you know to be the same on the inside, that get different reviews.

CambridgeAudioCare

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, this topic seems to come up from time to time so I will seek to clarify it.

We had many similar queries about the 650BD and similarities to the Oppo models last year.

As with our previous models the Cambridge Audio 751BD and 651BD are based on a Mediatek chipset- in this case its the MTK8530 solution.

Cambridge Audio of course has had a decade long relationship with Mediatek having based all of our previous 650BD BluRay, DVD89, DVD99, DV30, 540D V1 and V2 DVD players on various different Mediatek platforms.

As you would expect we are not the only brand to be using Mediatek development kits and application software, Oppo continue to use them, as are various new big league adoptors.

Generally brands like us prefer to use platforms that are also used by other customers as it means that when/if issues with discs and playback formats are found everyone is feeding back into a common knowledge pool (Mediatek in this case) and all brands benefit in terms of the reliability and robustness of the chipset and core software.

In terms of what Mediatek offer each customer they give us all schematics, software and PCB layouts for example versions of their solution.

The processor code includes an OSD generator and tools for defining setup menus and the like.

In fact Mediatek supply application code that gives an excellent framework for this.

This does mean that any machine based on the chipset is very likely to have a similar look and feel to the On-Screen Display.

For the hardware, each manufacturer then edits or regenerates these to greater or lesser extent to add their own flavour of sockets, DACs, power supplies etc. as they see fit.

Our model is thus our own and in this case we designed a new audio stage from the ground up with both a dedicated stereo analogue output, and 7.1 analogue multi channel output

In addition, all analogue audio outputs (both Stereo and 7.1) are processed for jitter suppression and up-sampling to 24-bit/192kHz by Anagram Technologies Q5 up-sampling running in our 32bit SHARC DSP.

We use various components (particular brands and types of capacitors for instance) and circuits developed and chosen by us from many hours of measurement and listening tests.

This design and its attendant technology is completely proprietary to Cambridge Audio is derived from developments first used in the multiple award winning Azur 840C CD player and DacMagic.

We also offer a choice of digital filters – linear phase/minimum phase/steep filter, as featured in the DacMagic.

Various other tweaks have also been done and the transport is indeed a new very high quality item, its one of various ones MTK support/recommend and being freely available on the market others may well choose to use it.

We don’t actually have an inside track on what the other Mediatek licensees may choose to use but we know there are several and there is considerable variation in how a Mediatek platform is implemented.

In short Cambridge Audio and Oppo or others actually have no relation. We are simply connected by our relationship with the chipset supplier, Mediatek and the fact that the core of our designs stem from there. I know that all the players in that list on the linked document are MTK8530 platforms and would be licensed as such.

It’s a bit like saying all PCs are the same because they use Intel processors and run windows, that is the root but clearly the products deviate greatly from that starting point.

We seek to maximise the performance of our units for the type of customer we cater for, and in particular we are passionate about the musical ability of our products so a lot of ‘special sauce’ goes into that.

Thanks

Ed Selley

Cambridge Audio customer support

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Extremely happy with my Cambridge Audio BD751. Thanks for the explanation, Ed.

Any 851 on the horizon? Though would have to be extremely good to upgrade from the 751.

Few queries though:

1) Who is the manufacturer then? Does Cambridge Audio have a manufacturing base in China?

2) The UL certification for Cambridge Audio players certainly isn't Mediatek, it's Oppo (as per the link above)! What does that mean? Is the link I provided wrong?

3) I found this on another forum:

If you have a CA or Oppo go to the setup menu and select > NETWORK SETUP>CONNECTION INFO>NEXT PAGE. This should show an "Ethernet Mac" i.e. 00-22-DE-89-XX-XX-XX. The six digits i.e. "00-22-DE" are the IEEE OUI (organisation unique identifier).

Using this link type the first six digital you found in the search section at the bottom of the linked page -

http://standards.ieee.org/develop/re...ui/public.html.

Some CA Blu-ray products appear to show an IEEE OUI address that reports as Oppo. What does that mean?

A

Anonymous

It stikes me this is easily settled by people who own the two products posting a pictures of the internals. If they look the same then most likely they are!

A

Anonymous

John you don't need to - here it is:http://www.trustedreviews.com/cambridge-audio-azur-751bd_Blu-ray-Player_photos_4

Couldn't find a picture of the Oppo though..

DigitalPeteDevon said:
It stikes me this is easily settled by people who own the two products posting a pictures of the internals. If they look the same then most likely they are!

The thread isn't discussing similarities between Oppo & Cambridge Audio. It's simply asking if Cambridge Audio players are manufactured by Oppo. Cambridge Audio is free to select the specifications it wants in the player.

jacobmorrison

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I wonder with the announcement of the new Oppo 103 and 105 players we should be expecting a new player from Cambridge Audio soon? Hopefully with the same networking improvements Oppo have included.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I personally don't know why anyone would buy the Cambridge BD player and not the Oppo as the Cambridge has a awful remote and is not avalible as a Multi-region deck for DVD/BD without invalidating your warrantry as where the Oppo is.

My understanding is that any hardware mod on even the Oppo invalidates the warranty.

You can always install this, which won't invalidate warranty:

http://www.bluraychip.dk/product.php?id_product=18

http://www.bluraychip.dk/product.php?id_product=15

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I got my Oppo via a autherised Oppo dealer fully multi-region complete with a 2 year Warrantry BB as where the only place you can get the Cambridge BD players is Richer Sounds who don't offer a multi-Region for BD. And have you seen the Cambridge remote?? it looks like it belongs to a £20 DVD player!!!

D.J.KRIME said:
And have you seen the Cambridge remote?? it looks like it belongs to a £20 DVD player!!!

:)

No I haven't seen the remote. In any case, I won't be concerned about remote quality as I've got Logitech Harmony One. It is another matter that the Cambridge Audio player will not be on my list for purchase.

But it is indeed useful for other members to know, who are in the market for a new player.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
i have always wondered about this - the on screen menu's etc look almost identical. Anyone know if you could flash the cambridge audio firmware on an Oppo? Im not sure but can you play .iso files on the Cambridge players? Oppo removed the feature a while back and i havent updated by player since as i use it a bit, but i'd like to upgrade to get more compatibility with newer discs plus the ability to control the Oppo via my smart phone

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts