Cambridge Audio Azur 640A V2 or Cambridge Audio Azur 340A SE?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
The Cambridge Audio Azur 640A V2 is going on ebay for around the same price as what the 340A costs at richer sounds (£200 price range). The speakers I'm thinking of getting are the 'Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom', the 'Wharfedale Diamond 9.1', the 'Cambridge Audio S30', or 'Mordant-short Avant 902i'. Would these speakers be powerful to handle the 640A? And which ones would be suited best to each of amps. I am planning running my macbook into the amp - would it be worth me buying the new Cambridge audio DAC to use between my macbook and amp?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

matthewpiano

The 640A is a much better all-rounder than the 340A SE, with a better balanced sound across the frequency range and much more power behind it (its 75 watts per channel). It shares some internal components with the 740A and will stand future speaker upgrades much better than the 340.

Mordaunt-Shorts match well with CA kit. The two companies are very strongly linked. Speaker choice will depend on what sort of sound you want to achieve. If you like a fast, exciting sound the 902i would be a good choice. If you prefer a slightly warmer sound look at the Wharfedales or the Monitor Audio BR2s.

In terms of the DAC, buying one will certainly benefit the sound you get from your music files, but you should also consider the Musical Fidelity V-DAC. Its cheaper than the DacMagic, and if you go for the faster sounding Mordaunt-Shorts it would balance the sound out better than the DM. Both are excellent products though, as is the Beresford DAC.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Yeah go for the 640a - as long as its been looked after theres no contest. I had the 340a and then upgraded to the 540a which made a big difference imo. Just playing with the 840a now - real adventurous huh? Maybe I should think about another brand for a change!

And do audition the Beresford DAC - its the best £100 I've ever spent.

matthewpiano

lordmortlock:Yeah go for the 640a - as long as its been looked after theres no contest. I had the 340a and then upgraded to the 540a which made a big difference imo. Just playing with the 840a now - real adventurous huh? Maybe I should think about another brand for a change!

And do audition the Beresford DAC - its the best £100 I've ever spent.

How are you getting on with 840a now? How does it compare to your 540?

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Its settling in quite nicely thanks Matthew... I reckon its a keeper. As I mentioned in another post initially I was a bit disappointed but after listening for a few days and some A/B testing its obviously clearer and sharper. My beresford sounds much cleaner and alive through the 840 than the 540a (and better than the DAC in the 840c!) I initially thought it was a bit bright but in hindsight I think it was more my old nad cdp was a bit warm and muddy - and I'm convinced the kef iq5ses are letting the side down. You made an interesting point the other day about knowing that your nad had run out of steam. I feel like the kefs are capping/limiting the 840s. Those mezzos of yours sound like a sensible next step!

I'm not sure I'll keep the 840c tho. I kind of liked the idea of the onboard DAC but I just love my beresford too much to part with it. I feel like I'd be betraying it - first time I've ever felt like that with kit!

A

Anonymous

emotion-1.gif
Hi, I just bought Cambridge Audio 840A & Cambridge Audio 840C from this store : http://stores.ebay.com.au/Perfect-Sound-Audio a few weeks ago, this shop offer good price with good product & service. I am very satisfied with the product performance, it's value for money and high quality of product. It's highly recommended product.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Not sure if you are a vip member of richer sounds but they are currently doing the 640Av2 for £149 and the 540Cv2 for £99 which in my opinion is a bargain! think you will need to be quick tho dont think they will stay that price for long!

I think all you need to do if you do not get the vip e-mails would be to go to a store and say you saw it at that price on the e-mail.

If you need a tuner as well they are doing the award winning denon for £130 as well, I was quite tempted by that myself!

A

Anonymous

bay24:
Not sure if you are a vip member of richer sounds but they are currently doing the 640Av2 for £149 and the 540Cv2 for £99 which in my opinion is a bargain! think you will need to be quick tho dont think they will stay that price for long!

I think all you need to do if you do not get the vip e-mails would be to go to a store and say you saw it at that price on the e-mail.

If you need a tuner as well they are doing the award winning denon for £130 as well, I was quite tempted by that myself!

Richer Sounds offers in Silver only, as you say a bargain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts