Cambridge Audio 751 Blu-ray Player £450!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

Just bought Avatar, Titanic, Toy Story 3 and Top Gun on 3D too! 8)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The 751 might be overkill, but £400 is a great price.

Life of Pi is a great 3D system tester, too, if something of a Rorschach test for faith/agnosticism/atheism. Coraline remains my top 3D BD pick. It's extremely cheap to buy as well, as is Hugo, which is too twee for my tastes, but a good test for crosstalk.

If you're planning on giving 3D a whirl, I've one more thing to suggest: professional calibration. The difference with 3D is profound. I know a Norwich City fan that's very reasonable, very thorough, and pretty local to you. ;) It'll be the best money you spend.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
One more thing, I'll be interested to hear how you think the CA and Oppo compare, especially with DVD upscaling. They use the same Qdeo processor, so I'd expect performance to be identical.

By the way, you should set the HDMI colour space 4:4:4. While it's generally advised to set to 4:2:2, as I discovered after extensive research and experimentation, this is the only way the CA outputs a completely unadulterated 1080p image. The 4:4:4 setting doesn't seem to have any negative impact on the picture.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
One more thing, I'll be interested to hear how you think the CA and Oppo compare, especially with DVD upscaling. They use the same Qdeo processor, so I'd expect performance to be identical.

By the way, you should set the HDMI colour space 4:4:4. While it's generally advised to set to 4:2:2, as I discovered after extensive research and experimentation, this is the only way the CA outputs a completely unadulterated 1080p image. The 4:4:4 setting doesn't seem to have any negative impact on the picture.

Cheers mate. That is brilliant. I get it Wednesday delivered, so I will report back then.
smiley-smile.gif
I thought it was a cracking price, they had three of them!

D

Deleted member 2457

Still no sign of my Blu-ray player, they best posted it. I can't even remember what store I ordered it from! :doh:

D

Deleted member 2457

The_Lhc said:
gel said:
Still no sign of my Blu-ray player, they best posted it. I can't even remember what store I ordered it from! :doh:

Did you order it online or over the phone? If it's online you should have some email confirmation.

Over the phone at the Plymouth store (I think), he took my email address but I got no email. Can't recall any reference numbers either.

D

Deleted member 2457

Still no Blu-ray player and it was the Plymouth store. Best give them a call in the morning.

D

Deleted member 2457

There was a mix up and is now being delivered tomorrow!

D

Deleted member 2457

plastic penguin said:
gel said:

When it comes could you tell me what the tonal quality is like. May just replace the Naim for one of these... heard many Cambridge separates and not that keen on the presentation, certainly not with hard domed tweeters.

Cheers, PP.

Will do mate, I think they are a cracking price.

D

Deleted member 2457

plastic penguin said:
gel said:

When it comes could you tell me what the tonal quality is like. May just replace the Naim for one of these... heard many Cambridge separates and not that keen on the presentation, certainly not with hard domed tweeters.

Cheers, PP.

I find this review a good read:

http://hometheaterreview.com/cambridge-audio-azur-751bd-blu-ray-universal-player-reviewed/

Is it by CD you want me to report on? If you tell me want you want a report on? Because I will just do it for Blu-rays bitstream, I could try it other ways too, if you let me know. They all seem brand new stock. With the VIP voucher that brings it down to £390, I paid £7 for delivery.

gel said:
plastic penguin said:
gel said:

Cheers, PP.

http://hometheaterreview.com/cambridge-audio-azur-751bd-blu-ray-universal-player-reviewed/

Is it by CD you want me to report on? If you tell me want you want a report on? Because I will just do it for Blu-rays bitstream, I could try it other ways too, if you let me know. They all seem brand new stock. With the VIP voucher that brings it down to £390, I paid £7 for delivery.

Yep - CD performance.

D

Deleted member 2457

plastic penguin said:
gel said:
plastic penguin said:
gel said:

Cheers, PP.

Yep - CD performance.

I will have to try my other ones too then, so I have something to compare against.
smiley-smile.gif

gel said:
plastic penguin said:
gel said:
plastic penguin said:
gel said:

Cheers, PP.

Yep - CD performance.

I will have to try my other ones too then, so I have something to compare against.
smiley-smile.gif

Good man - thanks gel. :cheers:

D

Deleted member 2457

PP, I just have the Oppo 103 connected to my amp and speakers and listen to it that way. I don't have cables to do anything else. It will all sound the same that way right? I could and will try with the Cambridge Audio but I am not sure exactly what you want? Do you get me?
smiley-smile.gif

gel said:
PP, I just have the Oppo 103 connected to my amp and speakers and listen to it that way. I don't have cables to do anything else. It will all sound the same that way right? I could and will try with the Cambridge Audio but I am not sure exactly what you want? Do you get me?
smiley-smile.gif

If you mean connected by interconnects (audio 'out' section) then 'yes'.

D

Deleted member 2457

plastic penguin said:
gel said:
smiley-smile.gif

If you mean connected by interconnects (audio 'out' section) then 'yes'.

It is connected by HDMI to the amp.
smiley-smile.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
It's perhaps not a fair comparison, but my 651 (I appreciate this is a different machine) can't touch my Teac PDH-600 when it comes to CD playback over analogue.

I remain sceptical as to whether an all-in-one player works as an audiophile solution (and I don't even class myself as an audiophile). Unlike the Teac, however, the CA of course plays a wide range of audio formats, which is nice.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Also fine, but you're using the oppo as a transport. PP isn't going to get much benefit of any report of the oppo or CA being used in that way as he will be using the onboard dac and using analogue interconnects. Do you have a couple of RCA cables anywhere? Just the cheap red and white ones will do the job.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Also fine, but you're using the oppo as a transport. PP isn't going to get much benefit of any report of the oppo or CA being used in that way as he will be using the onboard dac and using analogue interconnects. Do you have a couple of RCA cables anywhere? Just the cheap red and white ones will do the job.

That's really why I was offering the 651/PD-H600 comparison. For what it's worth, the CA produces, to my ears at least, a harder, less detailed, and muddier sound. (As always, the adjectives used to describe audio performance leave much to be desired.)

The 751 reportedly does a better job in terms of digital to analogue conversion than the 651; but I'd be surprised if it betters a decent mid-range dedicated CDP. That's not to say the 651 is bad as a CDP; far from it.

I think we're still in an era where we need to prioritise with regard to space, convenience, and performance. There will inevitably be a compromise somewhere.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I'd started to post before your post appeared and what I said was therefore in response to gel's post, sorry for any misunderstanding.

I have never heard a universal disc player to compare. How is your BDP connected to your AVR?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I'd started to post before your post appeared and what I said was therefore in response to gel's post, sorry for any misunderstanding.

I have never heard a universal disc player to compare. How is your BDP connected to your AVR?

Hi Ben,

I didn't for a moment think any offence was implied. I was really seeking to clarify comments in my earlier post.

My BDP is connected to my AVR via HDMI; though I don't use it as a CDP. I connected both the Teac and CA to my AVR via analogue to hear how their DACs compared. The Teac won; and it wasn't difficult to reach that conclusion. The CA produces a decent sound. If I didn't own the Teac, I'd probably consider the 651 more than adequate.

The PD-H600 remains my favourite purchase for many years. The best thing I can say about it is that I can't find anything negative to report, which for me is pretty remarkable. OK, it'd be nice to turn the blue LED on the front off, but that's all I can come up with. (And even that is fixed by applying a small piece of tape.)

That's an impressive result for Evans. Robson's going OK so far, too. I'll say nothing about Andy until he reaches the quarter-finals, though such progress shouldn't be taken for granted. Unfortunately, since I'm not willing to give Mr Murdoch any money, I can't watch any of it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts