Cambridge audio 340A+340C with MS902i

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

i have Mordaunt Short 902i speakers and i am searching for an amplifier and a cd-player to complement them. I like the Cambridge Audio 340A amplifier and the 340C player. Has anyone experiences with this combination?

Are this components well matched or will the treble be to heavy??

Thank You!

Martin

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="mdrey"]
Hi,

i have Mordaunt Short 902i speakers and i am searching for an amplifier and a cd-player to complement them. I like the Cambridge Audio 340A amplifier and the 340C player. Has anyone experiences with this combination?

Are this components well matched or will the treble be to heavy??

Thank You!

Martin

[/quote]

I've auditioned 340A+340C with 906i, and they were excellent, so driving the 902i won't be a problem for the 340's. Excellent combo.

A

Anonymous

hey good luck with your purchases! i just bought some Mordaunt Short 902i as well today and now am searching for the right Amplifier for them.

i have an old sony cd player, which i cant afford to upgrade yet but i am pretty happy with it. is the Cambridge Adudio 340A or the 340ASE amp the best to go for? or should i look at other makes. i've heard good things about the NAD C315 BEE anyone have one? or recommend one?

Cheers Guys!

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for your replies. My only concern about the Cambridge Audio combination is that it may sound too bright and maybe a little bit thin? Has anyone heard the combination of the MS 902i with a Marantz amplifier and cd-player (for example pm4001 and cd5001/cd6002). Is there a big difference between Marantz and Cambridge Audio? And is the cd6002 much better than the cd5001? Sorry about my bad english, i am from germany...

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

I was in Richer Sounds and I talked to an advisor there and he told me that the Marantz products would be a lot brighter, almost overpowering, and that the Cambridge Audio equipment was much more neutral, and therefore a better purchase. I haven't heard a Marantz system so can only pass on what I have been told. I bought the 340A SE model amplifier today so will be trying that out tonight!

And do not worry about your "bad English", it was perfect!

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
richer sounds are the main distributors for cambridge audio so they would say that, but saying that cambridge audio do some decent kit but i feel the marantz would offer a bit more finesse.

A

Anonymous

I'm running the 340a and 340c through totem rainmakers. Have to say, the marantz is a keen system but I found it a wee, wee, wee bit brighter, also found the Marantz a little punchy in the low end (but i'm not a big fan of big bass).. The cambridge is neutral, but perhaps a bit too much so for the mordaunts??? Some people call the 340-640 amps analytical. I'm not sure, I have only heard the 902's once, if they have a good emotion to them and reveal the details then I'd err on the side of the azurs.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gogo_saint"]
I was in Richer Sounds and I talked to an advisor there and he told me that the Marantz products would be a lot brighter, almost overpowering, and that the Cambridge Audio equipment was much more neutral, and therefore a better purchase. I haven't heard a Marantz system so can only pass on what I have been told. I bought the 340A SE model amplifier today so will be trying that out tonight!

And do not worry about your "bad English", it was perfect!

[/quote]

Congratulations to your new amp! Would be great if you can post your first listening experiences!

A

Anonymous

Ok, I can't give you the full picture as my 902i's are still in the post, with it being a long weekend here, but I hooked up my new amp to an old pair of Eltax Monitor III's. I can't tell you about CD's because I am away from home at the moment, but I have been able to listen to a number of vinyls. I am really pleased with the 340ASE and it has a real power that I have never had before. It sounded good, with the direct input button pressed in, bypassing the tone controls, which I wasn't amazed by, but then I don't agree they should be included at all really. In short, very happy with my new amp, I'd recommend it and I can't wait to try it with my CD player and my 902i's when they finally arrive!

Hope this helps!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gogo_saint"]It sounded good, with the direct input button pressed in,[/quote]

I love that button...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gogo_saint"]It sounded good, with the direct input button pressed in,[/quote]

I love that button...

A

Anonymous

Hi,

on saturday i went to a local hifi dealer. He recommended me the combination with Marantz PM6002+CD6002. He also said that they often had problems with the CA amps and that they have a bad build quality...? I am very interested how your new CA 340A SE will sound with the MS 902i....?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="mdrey"]
Hi,

on saturday i went to a local hifi dealer. He recommended me the combination with Marantz PM6002+CD6002. He also said that they often had problems with the CA amps and that they have a bad build quality...? I am very interested how your new CA 340A SE will sound with the MS 902i....?

[/quote]
Never believe a salesman... I say this as a man who sold electronics for years.

I went to a NAD dealer and he dumped on the CA, the CA dealer dumped on Marantz, Marantz dealer told me there was no such product as the 6002. Trust in the google my friend. Always do your own research and ignore the man who is going to take your money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts