Cambridge 650 Amp and Player upgrade

wills556

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I am looking for some advice on upgrading my Cambridge 650 Amp and player I have allready

upgaded speakers to Rega RS3s and can only afford to change one component of system at a time

my budget is £600 to £800 for each ,so would like advice on which to change first source or Amp and

any manufactuer recommendations , I would also have to live with the remaining component for a further

12 months until funds permit before upgrading, so would have to be suitable to blend with the remaining

Cambridge equipment. any opinions would be very gratefull.Thanks !

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Rega's Brio-R would sound great with the RS3's.

You could also look at the Arcam A19 or Creek Evolution 50A - both highly rated.

In terms of synergy with your existing CA kit, I would take it along to your local hi-fi dealer and listen for yourself.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
CarlDW said:

You could also look at the Arcam A19 or Creek Evolution 50A - both highly rated.

In terms of synergy with your existing CA kit, I would take it along to your local hi-fi dealer and listen for yourself.

You can add the Roksan Kandy K2 and the Rotel RA-1520 both highly recommended too .

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
CarlDW said:

You can add the Roksan Kandy K2 and the Rotel RA-1520 both highly recommended too .

Agreed....the roksan should def be on audition list,and 1520.the creek also has some terrific reviews,although not heard this one.the arcam a19 needs serious speaker consideration when.....considering.. :- great reviews for when you match properly,but when I heard it with my speakers it sounded awful.I have 4ohm speakers tho. The brio r is also a good upgrade. I'd def go for amp first,then CD player,or alt sauce :p

wills556

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
hi, guys thanks for your feedback I really appreciate the input ,I kinda thought myself about upgrading the amp first, I know normal wisdom when upgrading components piecemeal is to upgrade speakers last ,but had a good deal on these speakers. I have auditioned the Rega Brio Amp and Apollo CD player and also Naim CD5 Si and Nait 5i/2 did not like the asthetics and build quality of Rega but good sound very neutral no discolouration ,Naim would be my choice on sound alone allthough auditioned with Neat Motive 2 speakers and found sound very bright to my liking, allthough have heard the Naims through Spendor A5s and the sound was phenomonal, massive detail but a totally different price range and could not justify nearly £2,000 layout. for a Player and Amp . so was pondering the Arcam A19, Creek Evo 50 and Exposure 2010s ,I possibly lean towards the Arcam as I think it will balance out the tendency of the brightness and treble peaks of the CA 650 player and Rega RS3s combined and also difficult to find reviews on Creek and Exposure gear and dealers.

wills556 said:
Hi, I am looking for some advice on upgrading my Cambridge 650 Amp and player I have allready

upgaded speakers to Rega RS3s and can only afford to change one component of system at a time

my budget is £600 to £800 for each ,so would like advice on which to change first source or Amp and

any manufactuer recommendations , I would also have to live with the remaining component for a further

12 months until funds permit before upgrading, so would have to be suitable to blend with the remaining

Cambridge equipment. any opinions would be very gratefull.Thanks !

Why not visit your local Richer and listen to a Marantz Pearl Lite and other amps around that price range.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts