Cambridge 640C V2 and DacMagic - would I get any improvements in sound?

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I'm pretty satisfied with my 640C V2, but have thought of upgrading it with a DacMagic to squeeze out some extra sound and tightness. That way I will also be able to use the optical out on my Airport Express and iTunes. But my main question is, will there be any difference in sound from the CD player by using the DacMagic? I mean by upsampling and so forth. Most of the reviews of the DacMagic says it has a really nice and tight bas, which I think my 640C V2 lacks a bit. Its coupled with a Cambridge 740A amplifier.

Best regards,
Peter

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Tight it does'nt sound and if I wanted precision it would'nt be my first choice. A Denon player I have here sounds more precise with better, deeper and more tuneful bass. It also betters the Dacmagic by sounding smoother. The DAC brings everything forward, sounding more in-room but it also adds some grain which is neither present with the player mentioned nor the 840C I have here. Its all system dependant of course and you may not have the same tonality with yours.

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Have you already heard the Dacmagic? Cool!

Well, before I got my 740A I had a 640A which had a much more forward living sound, so naturally when I upgraded to the 740A I felt my music sounded less living. I only exchanged my 640A because I was getting sick and tired of the out of balance sound it made (tried three samples). So if you say the DacMagic is much more forward sounding maybe its a perfect combo for me. Hifi Choice just tested the DacMagic and praised it highly.ÿ

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Peter Larsen:
Have you already heard the Dacmagic? Cool!

Well, before I got my 740A I had a 640A which had a much more forward living sound, so naturally when I upgraded to the 740A I felt my music sounded less living. I only exchanged my 640A because I was getting sick and tired of the out of balance sound it made (tried three samples). So if you say the DacMagic is much more forward sounding maybe its a perfect combo for me. Hifi Choice just tested the DacMagic and praised it highly.ÿ

The DM will be much better than your cd player - use the XLR connections though.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Peter Larsen:
My 740C does not have XLR in. Only the 840C does.

ÿ

What do you base your conclusion on?ÿ

I listened to the 640C before I bought my old cd player - the Denon DCD-700AE. The Denon was all round better imo. My next upgrade was an Arcam FMJ dvd player (which originally cost £2k and had the reputation of being a match for £1k standalone cd players), this was a big step up from the Denon. Since plugging my DM in, it gives me most of the benefits of the Arcam and on top is more accurate and bolder.

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
So you base your comments on the 640C as a standalone player. I'm sorry but that doesn't say anything about the sound it will produce with the DacMagic.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Peter Larsen:So you base your comments on the 640C as a standalone player. I'm sorry but that doesn't say anything about the sound it will produce with the DacMagic.

I don't think that the 640C is that relevant when using it with the DacMagic. The DM will be doing all the donkey work. You could connect the DM with a dvd player and it will sound pretty much the same it would connected to your 640C. What I was saying is that the DAC in the 640c is not as good as the DacMagic. By using them together, the 640C would just be the transport and the DM would do the rest.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Peter Larsen:So you base your comments on the 640C as a standalone player. I'm sorry but that doesn't say anything about the sound it will produce with the DacMagic.

I don't think that the 640C is that relevant when using it with the DacMagic. The DM will be doing all the donkey work. You could connect the DM with a dvd player and it will sound pretty much the same it would connected to your 640C. What I was saying is that the DAC in the 640c is not as good as the DacMagic. By using them together, the 640C would just be the transport and the DM would do the rest.

I think you find the DacMagic uses the same Wolfson 8740 DAC's as the 640C v2. It differs in using a slightly down parred version of Anagram Technologies upsampling circuitry. I would therefore be fair to expect slightly improved technical measurements and perhaps sound quality. Whether the results would be the same with the companies own 740 is questionable but I can't comment as I have'nt heard that particular player.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts