Calling Classical Music Fans.....Can you please help?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm re-posting this here in case it will make it more visible -

Has anyone got Glenn Gould's version of this.......is it worth getting and is it well recorded?

There are two versions.

There is this 2012 one, which seems very good value:[/b]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Glenn-Gould-plays-Bach-Well-Tempered/dp/B0085MK2...

or these from the 90s:[/b]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-Well-Tempered-Clavier-Book-1/dp/B0000262I9/...

and:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-Well-Tempered-Clavier-Book-2/dp/B0000262IB/...

Does anyone know if the older versions are any better, given they cost twice as much.

Many thanks in advance for any insight.

Cno

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Cno

ive just checked and both versions are on qobuz, so I'll give them a quick listen tonight to see which I personally prefer (it's CD quality so should be a meaningful comparison sound wise).

Two things. I'm by no means knowledgable classically. And I personally prefer Andras Schiff's earlier version above all those I listened to via Qobuz. In fact I've just bought it from Amazon as part of a box set of his Bach solo piano works - £24 for 12 CDs, 4 of which are Well Tempered Clavier. I don't actually care for Gould's style on WTP but recognise he splits opinion and wouldn't knock those who prefer him.

Back later.........Phil

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Who needed dinner anyway.

There's not much to choose between them, to the extent I wouldn't swear they aren't the same recordings. Interpretation is the same on both, both have a fair amount of tape hiss and he sings along on both Keith Jarrett style, which intrudes at times. The recording is cool rather than warm.

On which basis I would go for the lower cost one.

If your main interest is classical by the way then Qobuz do a classical only version of their service that is around £15 a month I think (I pay £25 for the full fat version). It's my main source of music these days, the 16/44 sound quality making it well worthwhile, even overcoming the fact that it's in French. Advert over!

edit - written before I'd read your last post, so the singing comment was unprompted. And I prefer the Andras Schiff earlier version as I said (not his more recent ECM recording, which is less lyrical playing wise and much cooler recording wise). I'd tell you what the box set is like but it's a Christmas present to my self so I am waiting til then to open it. Hopefully.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Peeps for the encouragement.

@ Phil

Glenn Gould certainly divides opinion.

I have never heard his style before and was interested to get opinions......so feel free to give yours, and I will certainly consider alternatives.

Some people say these recordings are spoiled (for them), because he can be heard humming along!

How well is the Schiff stuff recorded, and could you give a link please?

:beer: :beer:

Cno

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
philipjohnwright said:
Who needed dinner anyway.

There's not much to choose between them, to the extent I wouldn't swear they aren't the same recordings. Interpretation is the same on both, both have a fair amount of tape hiss and he sings along on both Keith Jarrett style, which intrudes at times. The recording is cool rather than warm.

On which basis I would go for the lower cost one.

If your main interest is classical by the way then Qobuz do a classical only version of their service that is around £15 a month I think (I pay £25 for the full fat version). It's my main source of music these days, the 16/44 sound quality making it well worthwhile, even overcoming the fact that it's in French. Advert over!

edit - written before I'd read your last post, so the singing comment was unprompted. And I prefer the Andras Schiff earlier version as I said (not his more recent ECM recording, which is less lyrical playing wise and much cooler recording wise). I'd tell you what the box set is like but it's a Christmas present to my self so I am waiting til then to open it. Hopefully.

Thank you Sir........one should never get between a man and his dinner!

Feel free to come back on Boxing Day for a review of the Schiff version.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
I know it already through Qobuz, in fact I've got it on now. A very lyrical reading, played at a medium pace, the latter seeming to be something that can vary a lot with WTP. Sound quality matches the interpretation, a much warmer tone. To me it focuses on the beauty of the piece rather than its intellectual side. Quite upbeat, makes me want to tap feet etc rather than concentrate on how clever Bach was (which he undoubtedly was).

My core ground is jazz by the way, which might influence my preferences on the WTP front. Now Jacques Loussier..... (box set due to arrive any day)

Ps no I'm not a Naim user!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
philipjohnwright said:
My core ground is jazz by the way, which might influence my preferences on the WTP front. Now Jacques Loussier..... (box set due to arrive any day)

I love Jacques Loussier......discovered him in the early 80s. The Telarc recordings are lovely.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Glenn Gould is pure marmite. I don't like him because his playing is idiosyncratic and you can often hear him singing along with the music! I would much rather have somebody reliable.

At the bottom end of the market Jeno Jando's Naxos version is excellent and wonderful value for money. The recording is modern and first rate and there is nothing wrong with his playing although you might think it is uninspired.

At the other end of the market I can clearly recommend Angela Hewitt's version on Hyperion. Her playing is simply outstanding and the recording is excellent. You won't find universal agreement on this, there are a number of misogynists who can't stand female pianists, but it's the version I wouldn't be without. (It won a Rosette in the old Penguin Guide so I am not alone in my admiration.)

If you can bear a mono version, and it is arguable that for solo piano it isn't as important, then the Rosalyn Tureck version is legendary. I have to admit I've not heard it!

Of course it was written for the harpsichord so you should consider a harpsichord version. I find harpsichord hard to take in big chunks so not for me.

Chris

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
If you're interested in other pianists' recordings of the WTC, then this page might be helpful:

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/editorial/bachs-well-tempered-clavier

I have the '97/'99 Hewitt version on Hyperion. The miking is good: the keyboard spans the soundstage nicely.

While we're on the subject of 18th-century piano, a plug for Alfred Brendel's Haydn Piano Sonatas on Decca. If you want to hear beautifully written, played and recorded solo piano, you'll love these recordings.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001JJX7ME/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

:cheers:

Matt

EDIT: my post crossed with Chris's above.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Glenn Gould is pure marmite. I don't like him because his playing is idiosyncratic and you can often hear him singing along with the music! I would much rather have somebody reliable.

At the bottom end of the market Jeno Jando's Naxos version is excellent and wonderful value for money. The recording is modern and first rate and there is nothing wrong with his playing although you might think it is uninspired.

At the other end of the market I can clearly recommend Angela Hewitt's version on Hyperion. Her playing is simply outstanding and the recording is excellent. You won't find universal agreement on this, there are a number of misogynists who can't stand female pianists, but it's the version I wouldn't be without. (It won a Rosette in the old Penguin Guide so I am not alone in my admiration.)

If you can bear a mono version, and it is arguable that for solo piano it isn't as important, then the Rosalyn Tureck version is legendary. I have to admit I've not heard it!

Of course it was written for the harpsichord so you should consider a harpsichord version. I find harpsichord hard to take in big chunks so not for me.

Chris

It's good to get your thoughtful and knowledgeable opinion.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Another plug for Qobuz, Spotify or your other favourite streaming service. Listening to stuff before you buy it saves you making bad purchases, if you buy enough then you will recoup the cost easily. Even more so with classical works where you can try all the different versions - exactly what I did with WTP before deciding on the Schiff version. I must have tried about 15, including the Hewitt and Turek ones (probably spelled that wrong, apologies). Oh and the Schiff one wasn't the first version I heard, although that does happen with some pieces (Tennstedt's Mahler 1 is still my favourite).

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Anyone fancy a free version of the Goldberg Variations whilst we're at it. See http://www.opengoldbergvariations.org/, go to the downloads page, you can still get the WAV 24/44 version (unfortunately not the FLAC 24/96 though)

I stumbled across it today, having had a quick listen it's an absolutely lovely recording and interpretation - backed up by numerous reviews that say it stands comparison with the best even though most haven't heard of Kimiko Ishizaka before (me included)

They are also doing WTP in the near future, having just raised the finance for it via crowdfunding - an interesting business model.

Enjoy

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Update. The Jacques Loussier box set seems distinctly average. Poor recording and the performances are clunky (wooden drumming in particular). Now listening to The Very Best of, which is much better.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
philipjohnwright said:
Update. The Jacques Loussier box set seems distinctly average. Poor recording and the performances are clunky (wooden drumming in particular). Now listening to The Very Best of, which is much better.

Thx for the tip.

:cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts