Calling all 50GT50 owners!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
I've just had my TV delivered last night.

What a TV - picture is amazing, and thankfully I haven't (as of yet) got any issues regarding buzzing! I've read around the internet and have decided to turn the settings (Contrast, Brightness, Colour, Sharpness) down for the first 100-200 hours of viewing and limit the amount of 'Sky Sports HD' I watch to remove the risk of burn. I used the normal settings (which seem to have most things at 50%) and reduced them all down a bit further - the picture is a bit dark for my liking, but perfectly watchable.

I'm not convinced by the THX settings - they seem to have every at 50% apart from contrast and that is about 60-70%.

I seem to remember years ago that WHF suggested having your tv settings roughly around this:

Contrast =100%

Brightness = 33%

Colour = 50%

Sharpness 0%

That is what I have used in the past and after using one of the THX DVDs you could get, found it to do the job.

Happy to be corrected though!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

mentm said:
I can hear a buzz on mine on bright screens and low volumes. Panasonic only consider it a problem if it can be heard on 1/3 of full volume. Been using cinema mode and have had no image retention modern screens are not susceptible to screen burn.

Unfortunately modern screens can still burn. I bought a customer returned GT50 in July and the previous owner had used the dynamic picture setting, the screen was very badly burned because of this.

Just be careful early on, then shouldn't be a problem.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Strapped:

tried your settings with sky HD and can't see any sign of medetarainian sun tans or such like I'm afraid. In fact I think you have ended up helping me! I have always had picture set to normal for sky to keep the orbiter on while in do a token run in (sod that 100 -200 hour thing) and only used thx cinema with bluray.....PQ is much better with sky HD with THX cinema and your slight colour drop....picture looked lovely.....so just the buzz for me now I think.....

not sure who posted the power calendar thing but why would that help?

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
This C.A.T.S setting.... my sister had this on a Panasonic tv a few months ago (she changed to a Samsung tv though i cannot remember which model) anyway that C.A.T.S. thing....... when I was round her house I turned it off and her picture got a lot brighter... which she liked.

No idea if all newish Pana sets are the same though ?

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Think some people have mentioned the CNET settings. Are these them?

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-566046/panasonic-tc-p55gt50-picture-settings/

Thoughts?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

PJ1200 said:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-566046/panasonic-tc-p55gt50-picture-settings/

Thoughts?

Yeah, could be. Well spotted.
clap.gif

A

Anonymous

I was watching program's in cinema mode. But noticed the burn after 10 days. Now too scared to watch anything with a logo on, so have moved the tv upstairs and playing a repair DVD and scroll bar for about 8 hours a night. It is now eventually fading but not what I was hoping for from a award winning tv. Currently have my old LCD back on the wall so I can watch a occasional sports channel.

mickeyh

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
My c.a.t.s is set to on which brightens the picture when in normal viewing , if set to off it gives a duller picture ,

i might be wrong , there are no correct settings as each individuals eyes are different , so what is right for one

Is not for the other , so find the setting which suits and stick with it .

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
I think quite a few people, myself included, have been surprised by the amount of poential issues that you could experience on the best 50" plasma on the market. To be fair to the What HiFi team, they only have a limited amount of time to test a lot of products so they can't be expected to judge performance based on long term ownership but perhaps a few more pointers on potential issues would be nice!

I'm sorry to hear about your image retention but you're doing the right thing, letting the inbuilt tools to get rid of screen burn . image retention. Did you run in your screen for the 200-500 hours that I've seen as the recommended amount of time? Obviously, not using a TV channel with a logo.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm sorry to hear of the screen problem too, and surprised it happened in Cinema mode, as the Pixel Orbiter is on in that mode.

My new GT50 is set to Cinema mode too, though I have taken the contrast and brightness down to below 50%, and I try not to watch programmes with a bright logo or still graphic for too long.

It is a pain that you have to do this with a brand new product, but it does seem that you have to.

I would contact your retailer to explain what has happened, and tell them that you are unhappy because you kept the tv on sensible settings with the Pixel Orbiter on, and it is still damaged.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
PJ1200 said:

Thoughts?

Thanks for this however on my GT50 the number values are not of any use as it is just a bar you can adjust with no numbers or am i missing something or do you have to roughly guess eg 33 = 1/3rd of the bar

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Thanks for this however on my GT50 the number values are not of any use as it is just a bar you can adjust with no numbers or am i missing something or do you have to roughly guess eg 33 = 1/3rd of the bar

Main Menu>Setup>Advanced(isfcc) and select “On”, you’ll then find them in Viewing Mode listed as “Professional 1/2” (IIRC that’s the same route as on my GT30).

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
PJ1200 said:

Thoughts?

Those settings are for US GT50s. European models have different calibration screens and options. If you notice, some of the Cnet settings are not available on the GT50B, while Cnet lists no settings for 10 point greyscale calibration. In other words, you won't be able use those settings as any kind of baseline.

Number values are listed In the Professional picture modes, but you'd be better served by downloading calibration test patterns (or ideally getting a professional calibration).

D

Deleted member 2457

How are people getting on with their GT50 now? Mine just keeps getting better, massive smile on my face. :). The pictures are awesome!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Well, I'm going to sort out a replacement GT50 in the near future (I've got too much on at the moment). The dirty screen effect has arguably become more pronounced with time, while the buzzing hasn't improved either. It's a shame, as when I can't see the dirty screen effect (which to be fair is most of the time) the images are excellent.

I only wish that full calibration controls were available on all picture modes. On the Professional preset it's possible to achieve perfect greyscale tracking and colour balance with the help of an ISF certified calibrator. But the trade off is a luminance cap and slightly lighter black levels. In other words, you have to decide between lower dynamic contrast with perfect colour reproduction, or colour inaccuracies with optimum black level and contrast performance. The THX preset has no advanced calibration controls, while the Normal and Cinema presets only allow two point white balance control. All of this is true of the VT50 as well.

Nevertheless, assuming I can get a replacement I'm happy with, I'm going to go the professional calibration route, or buy a colorimeter (or spectro) and give it a go myself. The colours look off in all picture presets and these inaccuracies cannot be corrected by eye.

On that subject, can anyone advise what the best (relatively cheap) colorimeter/spectrophotometer is? I've been looking at the i1 Display LT and the ColorMunki Display, which both get good write ups and cost less than ISF professional calibration.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Well, I'm going to sort out a replacement GT50 in the near future (I've got too much on at the moment). The dirty screen effect has arguably become more pronounced with time, while the buzzing hasn't improved either. It's a shame, as when I can't see the dirty screen effect (which to be fair is most of the time) the images are excellent.

I only wish that full calibration controls were available on all picture modes. On the Professional preset it's possible to achieve perfect greyscale tracking and colour balance with the help of an ISF certified calibrator. But the trade off is a luminance cap and slightly lighter black levels. In other words, you have to decide between lower dynamic contrast with perfect colour reproduction, or colour inaccuracies with optimum black level and contrast performance. The THX preset has no advanced calibration controls, while the Normal and Cinema presets only allow two point white balance control. All of this is true of the VT50 as well.

Nevertheless, assuming I can get a replacement I'm happy with, I'm going to go the professional calibration route, or buy a colorimeter (or spectro) and give it a go myself. The colours look off in all picture presets and these inaccuracies cannot be corrected by eye.

On that subject, can anyone advise what the best (relatively cheap) colorimeter/spectrophotometer is? I've been looking at the i1 Display LT and the ColorMunki Display, which both get good write ups and cost less than ISF professional calibration.

Ah nice one. Hope it all goes well, keep us updated. Cheers.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Exchanging mine, buzz is too loud. No problem for movies using surround speakers but no good for use without.....

will try one set, if no good it's back to LCD.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts