Cabling up in a new building.

deanchri

Dec 14, 2007
Visit site
I'm new to home cinema seperates but been reading up for months on what hi fi website and magazine and decided that when we've completed our house renovation we're having the following:Samsung LE46F86 LCD TV, PS3, Sky+ box, Onkyo TX-SR605 & Wharfedale diamond 9 HCP speaker system.

I want to mount the TV on the wall and hide the wiring in the new wall but unsure how many cables to cater for. The mains will be plugged into a socket behind the TV and I think I only need to cater for 1 HDMI lead from the TV to the Onkyo? I assume that the other leads will go from the receiver to the PS3/Sky box - Or do I need to cater for any other cables direct to telly before I plaster board in?? Any one out there got any suggestions as to how to make a need job of HDMI cable coming out of wall??

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
...Plus an aerial cable to the TV and an audio output from the TV to the receiver should you want to be able to watch the TV without the Sky box, or listen to its sound through the system.

Worth doing as there will always come a time when you want to record two programmes and watch another, and of course it's handy should the Sky service ever be interrupted.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
I'd definitely have at least one spare HDMI coming from the TV. You never know when you might need to hook something up in a pinch in the future and the Onkyo only allows for two. Better to do it now and not have to worry about it later.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="FuzzyinLondon"]I'd definitely have at least one spare HDMI coming from the TV. You never know when you might need to hook something up in a pinch in the future and the Onkyo only allows for two. Better to do it now and not have to worry about it later.[/quote]

emotion-21.gif

deanchri

Dec 14, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the advice folks, I can sort all this out before plasterboarding up over the next few weeks.

Regarding the HDMI cables in the wall, I was wondering if there is such a thing as a HDMI socket that fits neatly on the wall, but then I guess the less connections the better so perhaps just the HDMI cable flying loose out of the wall is the best option- Any advice?

I'm a bit of a stickler for tidiness but don't want to compromise the sound or vision.

deanchri

Dec 14, 2007
Visit site
Excellent advice - Many thanks! There are some great socket plates here that fit neatly over a standard electrical back box & cater for audio, scart, HDMI, speaker wires etc. Brilliant - just what I was looking for.

A

Anonymous

Andy - Isn't the Sky+ box Scart Only. Sure it can still probably route via the Onkyo to screen but likely to need a scart to composite/s-video type thingy between Sky+ box and receiver.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes it is, so the best bet is either a direct feed via Scart to the TV, or an RGB-component converter box, then use the Onkyo to upconvert the signal to HDMI - upconvert, mind, not upscale.

Frankly, by the time you've bought the converter box and the extra cable required, it might start to make sense to hassle Sky for a good deal on the HD box to replace your + one, which will make life a lot simpler.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="Andrew Everard"]

Agreed, JD - very cute!

[/quote]

(blushes)[/quote]

The faceplate, the faceplate - and you can stop that winking, too...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts