Cables/Interconnects

Robonoodle

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I am dipping my feet into hifi for the first time really, and although I had a system back in the mid-90's, things have obviously moved on. I have picked up some items cheaply on Ebay to get me started and I will upgrade as and when I have some pennies.

What I am looking for is advice on cables/interconnects, because I really don't have a clue. I currently have a Marantz PM6004 amp, Arcam Alpha 7SE CD and a pair of B&W 601 speakers. My music tastes are quite eclectic, and though my roots are in rock/metal/blues, I enjoy acoustic, electronic, female vocal, classical and most things outside of this.

I would be very grateful if someone could give me some guidance on how to get these all connected up.

Thanks very much!

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I fear you may have opened the proverbial can here... You should be able to find interconnects and speaker cable on ebay also. From what I've read QED seem to be very good at both and have budget options...

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
You will get 2 schools of thought regarding cables on this sight and other forums so I'll give you both sides.

The side I follow.

I use Chord Company cables and would recommend you go on thier site http://www.chord.co.uk/cable-doctor/ fill out the relevant part of this form and your budget and they will suggest the right cables for you. They won't just tell you the most expensive ones either.

You should be able to do this with other manufacturers too, like Van Den Hul and True Colour Industries (TCI). But if The Chord Company recommend for your budget you might be able to find a second hand one of the next one up in their range and it should have been looked after. Meaning you get more from an interconnect for your money.

The other group will say just use any cheap interconnects as it doesn't make any difference what you use.

You should be able to pop to your local Richer Sounds or Audio-T and ask to listen to some different interconnects and make your own mind up.

Speaker cable is different. Basically, the thicker the better.

A good wooden Hi-Fi stand should help to. Try and avoid glass if you can.

Hope that helps

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
This is a can of worms. I personally do think different cables can change the sound, but not as much as the marketing or the press make out.

QED and Van Damme have always given me good results. I think speaker cable has more effect per £ than interconnects. Any of the silver plated QED speaker cables will certainly be more than good enough. You can get Van Damme interconnects made up to custom requirements (I.E colour, length, connectors) very cheaply on eBay.

Cambridge Audio cables can be bought for reasonable prices compared to the more boutique names and again are more than up to the job.

Couple of simple tips for you, keep both speaker cable runs the same length and try to avoid running signal cables next to mains cables. Pricy digital cables are a waste of money.

abacus

Ignore Hi Fi Cable manufactures and dealers and go instead to your local professional music store, as they will give you the most appropriate cables for your system at a fraction of the price. (Remember they supply the companies that produce the music and films you listen to & watch, so you will always have the best, also don’t forget that professional studios use equipment that makes even hi-end HI Fi look like a wind up gramophone, so if their good enough for them, they will be more than good enough for you)

Hope this helps

Bill

Robonoodle

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips, they are very much appreciated. The problem for me at this stage, is that it is easy to get taken in by advertising, so what I have learned today will put me on the right track.

Thanks again,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts