Cable upgrade for old bangers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All I really just wanted to ask the question of weather some new cables would improve upon what I use at the moment, my old bangers comprise of audiolab 8000a amplifier, mission 752 bi wired (qed qudos profile 8 leads) circa 1998 and arcam cd73 added this year, but interconnect nicked from an older system - dmn reson single solid core. Perhaps Andrew "The Oracle" Everard would care to make a comment. Any other feedback would be appreciated also. Also would there be any advantage in upgrading the Arcam to a CD192? Thanks In Advance :) John

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Amp, speakers and cables seem fine to me, but I might think about a CD player upgrade, as IMHO the CD73 can sound a bit 'lazy' at times. I'd probably be thinking in terms of the 'new-gen' Audiolab 8000CD, or even the Naim CD5i, as a good match for the amp and speakers you have now.

That and a quick tighten up of the drive units, plus a clean of the cable plugs with some Brasso (other metal polishes are available!) should do you very nicely. If you're running bare wire speaker connections, cut the cable ends off and strip back to some fresh conductor, that sort of stuff...

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew, speaker cables have banana's on one end and oranges, i mean bare wire at amp end, so i will do as suggested, cant say I would have thought about the Brasso though :). Re CD player, as it was only bought Feb this year, I will have to get some wear out of it, I will try to trade in with local dealer, but i doubt he will play ball, but I will definately put the audiolab cd on a wish list, if there is any room left on it :).

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew
I just wanted to re-cap, you mentioned audiolab 8000cd and Naim Cd5i, as there is a large difference in price (499/850) I was just wondering what more I could expect out of the Naim for the extra £350 (I would however get £300 trade in against the Naim), also would the rega apollo be a consideration, just wondering. The CD interconnect I have has give up the ghost, so which would you suggest for the audiolab or naim?.
(Helping to push you ever closer to post 2000 :) )
John

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
8000CD as it's the obvious match for the amp you have now, Naim because it would be even better, and would make the most of your system. Not spent much time with the Rega, I'm afraid, but the brief listens I've had would suggest it's worth a longer audition.

CD interconnect? Chord Cobra 3 or, if the budget will stretch, Chameleon Silver Plus, IMHO.