Cable shielding question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
With a the talk about the shielding on quality cables reducing interference within the cable, does it work the other way around? Does the shielding help to stop the cable causing interference with other cables (interconects,speaker cables etc)? It's just a bit messy around the back of my system and is hard to keep all the cables away from each other. I try to have power cables cross any other cables at 90 degrees.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Speaker cables dont really need any shielding, its interconnects that do (So try to keep speaker cables away from everything else if possible)

And yes, shielding will protect them from one another too. XLR balanced cables are ideal for this situation. If you cant use XLRs then youll have to shop around for some well shielded phono type ICs

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
aliEnRIK:

And yes, shielding will protect them from one another too. XLR balanced cables are ideal for this situation. If you cant use XLRs then youll have to shop around for some well shielded phono type ICs

Well, that's some good news! The Quintessence XLRs are shaping up nicely (still on continuous play and sounding good so far). But I have yet to come across the Jean Claude UP LC OFC in I/C balanced XLR format. I hope to try out the speaker cable within the next few days.

I admit to having pretty much the same situation behind my system. It looks like a fight on a snake farm.
emotion-10.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009:
Well, that's some good news! The Quintessence XLRs are shaping up nicely (still on continuous play and sounding good so far). But I have yet to come across the Jean Claude UP LC OFC in I/C balanced XLR format. I hope to try out the speaker cable within the next few days.

I admit to having pretty much the same situation behind my system. It looks like a fight on a snake farm.
emotion-10.gif

I was going to wait and see if they ever do make an XLR cable version. But decided that the LC-OFC grade has made such a difference between my cd and pre amp, that im going to try the standard LC phonos inbetween my Pre and power amp (Which currently has Studio Blue XLRs). Should be arriving in a few days
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I have a very urgent question. Is shielding NECESSARY. Very respectable professionals will tell you it is not even desirable. For instance Weiss Audio (Switzerland) tells us: "both the analog and digital balanced interconnects with XLR connectors are unshielded for very low stray capacitance". DNM Cables (dnm.co.uk) makes interconnects with NO shielding.

I am very confused.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts