CA 840 how good is it ?

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Hi:

Both good and bad reviews all over for 840A V2. I would like to upgrad from 640 V2. So, is it fine that i upgrade to 840A V1 (cheap) rather than 840A V2, and enjoy all the good qualities of 840A V1 amp with my RS6 ? or is 840A V2 in a different league ?

RS has the following offers -

840A V1 - £399.95
840A V2 (Graded) - £599.95

Now, what is Graded, can we buy graded amp?

Thanks.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Ive spent a year with the 840A v1. Its a decent amp for the money and i was pleased with what it gave me sound wise. It did sound a bit forward so not sure it would suit the RS6s which imo also lean that way.

However i must warn you if they are having "graded" versions... whatever that means id avoid like an STD! I had none a non "graded" amp and in terms of reliability its an absolute disgrace. I had to return 3 amps in the space of a year all with the same fault - a dodgy volume knob that would turn up on its own to max level. This meant that i was lugging a pretty heavy amp from York (where i was based) to leeds, on train, on a more than acceptable basis. All the whilst richer sounds would deny this is a common problem! Somthing i completly shot down by doing a quick search of hifi forums. These "graded" ones are probibly all the returns that they dont know what to do with haha!

Anyway i moved from CA to cyrus pre power and was more than happy with sounds and no issues at all with the amps. I have recently heard the ROKSAN K2. You must hear that before even thinking about the CA.
Cheers!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
vinod_david:Hi:

Both good and bad reviews all over for 840A V2. I would like to upgrad from 640 V2. So, is it fine that i upgrade to 840A V1 (cheap) rather than 840A V2, and enjoy all the good qualities of 840A V1 amp with my RS6 ? or is 840A V2 in a different league ?

RS has the following offers -

840A V1 - £399.95
840A V2 (Graded) - £599.95

Now, what is Graded, can we buy graded amp?

Thanks.

First of all, where have you read bad reviews of the 840A v2?? This mag gave the v1 model a not brilliant review and every other one I read was excellent. I think that the v1 (I have it) is an astonishing amp for the money. Seriously, for £399, I can't see anything touching it. I think graded means that it's been returned and therefore the box has been opened and is less than perfect. The fact that you get a 12 month guaranty should show that there is nothing wrong with it. I would go for the v2 to be honest (you can get a silver brand new one for £699). HFC raved over v1 and also said that the v2 had improved on it. I think it matches very well with the RS6 speaker. Why don't you buy one and try it out at home and then take it back if you are not happy for a full refund. I doubt you will though - it is seriously on another planet to the 640 and it is so powerful.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
SHAXOS:Ive spent a year with the 840A v1. Its a decent amp for the money and i was pleased with what it gave me sound wise. It did sound a bit forward so not sure it would suit the RS6s which imo also lean that way.

However i must warn you if they are having "graded" versions... whatever that means id avoid like an STD! I had none a non "graded" amp and in terms of reliability its an absolute disgrace. I had to return 3 amps in the space of a year all with the same fault - a dodgy volume knob that would turn up on its own to max level. This meant that i was lugging a pretty heavy amp from York (where i was based) to leeds, on train, on a more than acceptable basis. All the whilst richer sounds would deny this is a common problem! Somthing i completly shot down by doing a quick search of hifi forums. These "graded" ones are probibly all the returns that they dont know what to do with haha!

Anyway i moved from CA to cyrus pre power and was more than happy with sounds and no issues at all with the amps. I have recently heard the ROKSAN K2. You must hear that before even thinking about the CA.
Cheers!

I've never had an issue with mine.

Surely the Cyrus amps are brighter than the 840?

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Surely the Cyrus amps are brighter than the 840?

They are indeed. But i also had a speaker change with the sytem. They are forward but they time amazingly well.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Thank you both.

Shaxos - i know you had this reliability issue with CA, but it's been a year now, the 640A+C never caused any problem at all for me, oh you're not lucky i guess!

Gerrard - A die-hard 840 fan, i know you would be the first to reply. I can't find any where they hate 840 V2, so i take back my word on that. Now, what's that make the 840 in another planet when compared to 640, can u share please, coz i was thinking 640 was doing its duty well for the RS6.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
vinod_david:Thank you both.

Shaxos - i know you had this reliability issue with CA, but it's been a year now, the 640A+C never caused any problem at all for me, oh you're not lucky i guess!

Gerrard - A die-hard 840 fan, i know you would be the first to reply. I can't find any where they hate 840 V2, so i take back my word on that. Now, what's that make the 840 in another planet when compared to 640, can u share please, coz i was thinking 640 was doing its duty well for the RS6.

RS6s thrive on power in my opinion and the 840 provides enough effortlessly. I'm not saying the 640 is not any good but the 840A offers superb, tight bass and gives a very accurate account of the music. I reckon you have only heard your speakers at 50% so you could be in for a treat.

A

Anonymous

Hi...

I can offer no advice on the high-end CA stuff.... my issue and advice revolves around the term 'graded'.... to my mind the term refers to products that have not passed the quality control process, usually due to cosmetic reasons. It is unlikely that any manufacturer would allow a product that cannnot fulfill its primary function to make it to the market place as a 'graded' item.

My cooker is a graded Cannon - which meant that it had a scratched side panel.

My fridge-freezer was graded - that had a small dent in the side (which, since moving house I have added numerous other ones to).

My hotpoint washing machine was graded - this was due to the packaging being damaged.

So you get the vibe...

The best way to find out why that 840 v2 is graded is to ask the seller.... pure and simple. Remember that graded products do come (should come) with a warranty... either from the manufacturer or the supplier....

Finally v1 vs v2? Well what is the supposed difference? There is a massive difference between an Iphone and an Iphone 3G and an Iphone 3G(S) so I would have to go for the latest edition... if the changes are more evolutionary and price is a big factor, then I would plump for the v1... at that price it seems a good buy.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I have had my CA 840A v2 amp for 9 months now. I previously had a mission cyrus 2 and prior to the 840A i was listening to a rega brio 3 and/or the pioneer A400. The Brio and A400 are great sounding amps-better than the cyrus 2. The 840A tho is in another league. It is so clear, transparent and natural sounding with great depth. It never sounds strained or forced like the brio and a400 do when pushed.

I shan't upgrade my amp again. Musically I think it's excellent. An added bonus is how good it sounds when you play dvds or tv movies thro it. It's given me a whole new cd collection. A lot of people like the kandy so do listen to it. I auditioned a nait 5i as well . It sounds v good but not as powerful or as clear a soundstage as the 840A

Have a listen - the guys at richer are very nice and helpful

cheers tony

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Thanks. Great to hear 840 V2 outperforming 5i and other amps you mentioned. I think you're the right person in my case to make me lean more towards 840 side. So, what speakers you have ?

A

Anonymous

tonky:

I have had my CA 840A v2 amp for 9 months now. I previously had a mission cyrus 2 and prior to the 840A i was listening to a rega brio 3 and/or the pioneer A400. The Brio and A400 are great sounding amps-better than the cyrus 2. The 840A tho is in another league. It is so clear, transparent and natural sounding with great depth. It never sounds strained or forced like the brio and a400 do when pushed.

I shan't upgrade my amp again. Musically I think it's excellent. An added bonus is how good it sounds when you play dvds or tv movies thro it. It's given me a whole new cd collection. A lot of people like the kandy so do listen to it. I auditioned a nait 5i as well . It sounds v good but not as powerful or as clear a soundstage as the 840A

Have a listen - the guys at richer are very nice and helpful

cheers tony

Thanks for sharing Tony. I recently listened to CA's pre and pwr amp package (available at Richer). Wow, like the 840 they were also clear and transparent, but also offered even greater dynamic ability.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
"Praises galore for the 840. Any one still"

Vinod you really should have a listen your self. What other people say will ultimatly be meaningless if you dont like the amp. Every one has their favourites and if one wants to find supportive material they can do so for anything. So I advise have a listen..

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
I never knocked the sound quality. I brought one and that should be proof of that. I had my issues with it and i am being honest about MY PERSONAL experience with the amp. Sound wise you are right it is a winner. But still have a listen to it and others especially the Roksan K2 and dont base your decision completely on what other say. Good luck mate!

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I listen to the 840A v2 thro pre owned biwired epos es14 speakers. They are very neutral and revealing. I bought them 18 months ago (pre owned). They came with dedicated stands and biwire cable. I may upgrade the cable in the future to single strand - but i am in no rush to do so.

I wasn't able to listen to the nait 5i in an ab comparison. I literally went from one dealer to the other. It is not ideal I know. The nait 5i was a bit too minimalist for my needs too. I like to listen through headphones too. I bought sennheiser hd595 from richer and They sound very good from the 840A. I wish I had listened to the K2 amp but Richer offered me a good deal before the price rise and a months home trial so that clinched it.

If you get a listen to the K2 let us know what you think. good listening - tony

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts