BW685 + 608 sub

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
Havn't had a chance to listen to this combination just yet but being a small sub , would i expect the sub to be fast and not swamp the 685's .

The sub would be for stereo playback only not home theatre.

i would be using NAD amp C355 and cdp NAD c542 (might upgrade to c545)

A

Anonymous

I'm going to demo the 685's tomorrow... if I remember I'll ask them to stick the sub in too so I can have a listen. Not sure about the amp/cdp though, but I've read good things on here about the amp.

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the offer i'll look forward to here your opinion..Mostly as to whether it swamps everything.If it does then it may be the 683 floorstanders i buy instead...cheers mate.

A

Anonymous

Sorry for the hijack, but im thinking about getting the 685/c355 combo that you have. Do you like it? Is the sound nice and detailed or "muddy" as some nad gear ive heard? What kind of music do you listen to?

A

Anonymous

Had a good listen to both the 685's and the 686's. I was very impressed by both. I was considering the wharfedale 10.1's but I thought the 686's were better so I'm starting with those then I'll look at getting the 685's for the front. He didn't have the 608 in stock but I suspect as B&W subs go, its a good choice for music because of the closed box and small driver. The bass from the 685's was quite astonishing though as they are! If you just want more bass for music though, the 684/683 is an option. What size room is it for?

Also, if you do want to go down the sub route, I would consider the BK XLS200 or XLS400 depending on the size of the room. You get a lot of bang for your buck from their whole range.

A

Anonymous

Im thinking about the 685/c355 combo or 686/c326 depending on my budget when i go buy. Im not gonna add a sub for now as i found the bass good enough when i heard the 686's a few weeks ago. Like you I really loved how the 686's sounded and was blown away by how big those little boxes sounded too :) My room is about 3,5 by 4 meters and that is smaller than the room i heard the 686's in. Didnt get to hear the 685's but im guessing they sound even bigger. When I read around on the web i see that alot of people are preferring the 686 over the 685 for some reason even if that feeling is not shared by the WhatHifi staff.

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
the lounge room is 6.7m x 3.7m but lounge is about 3/4 of the way down the long side with about 1.5m behind and then the wall..thinking the 685's could sound at their best in a room that size

A

Anonymous

joestone:Im thinking about the 685/c355 combo or 686/c326 depending on my budget when i go buy. Im not gonna add a sub for now as i found the bass good enough when i heard the 686's a few weeks ago. Like you I really loved how the 686's sounded and was blown away by how big those little boxes sounded too :) My room is about 3,5 by 4 meters and that is smaller than the room i heard the 686's in. Didnt get to hear the 685's but im guessing they sound even bigger. When I read around on the web i see that alot of people are preferring the 686 over the 685 for some reason even if that feeling is not shared by the WhatHifi staff.

I think the 686's will be more than enough for that room, may as well save yourself the £100
emotion-1.gif

I even think you would get away with the 686's biggus, but if u want to be sure and don't mind dishing out the extra, go for the 685's because they will fill that room better. Especially if you aren't going to get a sub.

A

Anonymous

Ill save about 250 £ actually if i do the 686/nad326 combo over the 686/nad355
emotion-15.gif
Gonna see if i can borrow a pair of 686's from the shop and test it with my CA 340A amp. If it can drive the speakers properly i wont have to shell out for the nad amp either and use the money on a v-dac or dacmagic

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
Found a shop just 20 minutes away that stocks 686/685/608 and its Saturday morning so guess where i'll be spending my Saturday morning !.....carn't wait..

A

Anonymous

i had the exact same combo a year ago! i used them for a year

great partnership from the asw608 with the 685's, you'll love them.

A

Anonymous

biggus_1961:Found a shop just 20 minutes away that stocks 686/685/608 and its Saturday morning so guess where i'll be spending my Saturday morning !.....carn't wait.. Try to get a bit of discount too... they did me 5% off, not a lot but a nice gesture.

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
Well when i got to the shop, guess what....no sub !!!! so i ended up listening to 685/684/cm7
all with yamaha s2000 (i think i got those numbers right)

cm7.....no sub required !! absolutley massive bass

684.....didn't get much of a listen

going back to the shop today with a wider variety of cd's including itunes downloads

(they had a pair of cm9 as well but these are 50% more than the cm7 ..not sure they are worth the extra over the cm7)

A

Anonymous

I heard the first pair of cm9's that came to Norway over a month ago. It had not officially been released yet but the store got a pair for a big fair. I was lucky enough to be in the store just as they packed it for the fair and they gave me an exclusive listen through a Denon amp and i was in awe of the quality. Amazing speaker set, but too rich for my budget
emotion-9.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts