Buzzing amp

ted

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I've searched on the forum, but haven't found anything that quite matches my problem. Hoping someone can shed some light...

I have an old Denon PMA 355 amp with a turntable and CD player connected and bi-wired speakers. All has been working fine up until today, when I noticed a buzz coming from the speakers. This buzz is unaffected by the volume and input selection.

From the search I did it woud appear to be an earthing problem, but what I can't find is an explanation for why it would all be working fine, then suddenly start buzzing. I've sort of assumed the amp has broken [it was a cheap ebay purchase] - does this sound likely? is there any other reason for the buzzing? Anything else I can try before buying a new amp? I'd hate to fork out for a new amp to find that the buzzing remains...

Any help appreciated...

Cheers,

Ted.

Try disconnecting everything from the amp including the mains lead if it is the removeable type, then reconnect speakers only.

Do you still get the buzz?

Things do wear out on older amps and could be a dodgey capacitor / noisy volume pot.

I would avise getting it looked at by professional if you wish to keep it.

ted

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Cheers for the reply - have tried that, though unfortunately the power lead doesn't come out. Buzz is still there sadly.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Are you using a Tacima mains conditioner? That introduced a buzz to my system. Try unplugging each component and see if the buzzing stops. Other culprits are fridges, microwaves and air con if it is a ground loop.

ted

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for your reply VoodooDoctor

Yes, I am using the Tacima. I thought it was meant to eliminate noise! I'm pretty sure it was working fine with it before today, and i did try a different adapter thing and the buzz was still there. I've also now noticed some faint audio, which sounds like a radio signal being picked up from somewhere.

How did you solve the problem? Did you simply remove the Tacima?

Ted.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Before you delve too deep, make sure the turntable is properly grounded to the amp. Normally there's a thin black wire from the turntable and a grounding screw on the back of the amp's casing.

Always worth a quick check...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts