Buying New Sky Box From eBay / Adding New Drive

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
My Sky HD box is a bit glitchy at the min, I've had it for a few years. I have Sky multi-room as well with a 8 year old basic Sky box in the bedroom. I want to get a new HD box downstairs and put the current HD box upstairs in the bedroom running in single feed mode. Not too worried about recording up here, it's more having access to the Anytime service.

Is the model number I need the DRX890?

Is there any hassle from buying off eBay sellers? I see a lot of sellers, though most have mobile numbers rather than landlines. Feedback is all good though.

If I wanted to add a 2TB hard drive, it seems cheaper to buy your own than the 2TB box. Could someone provide a link to a suitable 2TB hard drive or would any drive do?

Cheers.

daveh75

harveymt said:
Is the model number I need the DRX890?

The 890 is the current model, so the one to go for.

Is there any hassle from buying off eBay sellers? I see a lot of sellers, though most have mobile numbers rather than landlines. Feedback is all good though.

There shouldn't be if the seller has good feedback etc.

f I wanted to add a 2TB hard drive, it seems cheaper to buy your own than the 2TB box. Could someone provide a link to a suitable 2TB hard drive or would any drive do?

Ideally you wan't an AV/CE rated drive as they draw less power, run cooler are quieter and run optimised f/w that handles continuous data streams better.

Posting on phone right now so to much faff to provide links, but if you look on Sky user or the sat sections of the various av forums you'll find HDD upgrade threads and lists of tried and tested AV/CE rated drives.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I've got one of these in mine....£70

http://www.dabs.com/products/seagate-2tb-barracuda-sata-6gb-s-64mb-7200rpm-hard-drive-7XD7.html?refs=52770000&src="3"

If you format the drive using the SkyHD box you will only end up with about 1TB due to firmware limitation.

To get the full 2TB, connect it to your pc via a sata cable and format it using exPVR (free), before putting it in your skybox.

http://www.ph-mb.com/products/expvr/downloads

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
GSB said:
Before you embark on your project try contacting sky...got my 2tb for £49.

Were you an existing HD customer or taking out a new HD sub? The Sky site says it's just for new HD customers.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
harveymt said:
GSB said:
Before you embark on your project try contacting sky...got my 2tb for £49.

Were you an existing HD customer or taking out a new HD sub? The Sky site says it's just for new HD customers.
An exsisting customer,if they say you can't have it kick up a fuss...it also depends on the operator you talk too...some see your point,some don't,so dont be affraid to hang-up and phone back....as BB say's,threaten them with Virgin... >)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts