Buying from abroad...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone!

Ive been given the opportunity to buy both a Kuro or Panasonic screen from abroad-

I have a few concerns with this as I'm sure many of you would !

I'm concerned with compatability of the Kuro PDP6020FD or Elite Pro151FD in the UK from TV signals, DVDs etc and Power Supply.

Can anyone help with this dreaded subject, is an import a good idea?

(leave money out the subject, consider its a good price or why would I bother :) )

Many thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

well this is the concern

and TBH the deal is a good one which is why im trying to find out more...

I already run a US import Pioneer 9800BT car stereo with no compatibility issues whatsoever but 12V is easy!!

nads

dunnichen:
well this is the concern

and TBH the deal is a good one which is why im trying to find out more...

I already run a US import Pioneer 9800BT car stereo with no compatibility issues whatsoever but 12V is easy!!

in the days of CRTïs I could get picture but no sound as the sound channels were/are handled differently.

But adding to what i said above you can just use an external decoder and not have any probs IF the internal one is not OK.

But as Andrew says a bit more info is needed.

A

Anonymous

K,

Hi Guys,

Well actually I'm into import/export so I have a few sources for these units. I can get a PDP 6020FD for about $1100 USD, $100 USD shipping and then calculate Tax at about 'something or other %' and you are looking at approx £1200 all in.

The Elite Kuro Pro 141FD 60" comes in at about £2000 spent all in.

I'm getting in touch with a supplier for instruction books to verify the units are genuine, some of these foreign traders are a little unscrupulous as I found out in the past with some dodgy "brand name" golf balls.

I can buy from the US, Hong Kong or direct from Japan. I dont believe them to be anything other than the real thing.

If I spend a grand or so and it works, ill have saved myself approx 3k, thats why im on here, to learm a load about this and get some rock solid advice- rather than a yopper in a shop telling me it'll be ok!

I cant be the only one who has thought about this or has bought a Kuro as an imported product.
If it doesn't work I'll have to think about a Viera instead.

Many thanks for your posts, theyre much appreciated btw

Keep 'em coming!
emotion-2.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, the tuner won't work, as the TV systems are totally different, and you may have problems with the screens displaying PAL signals, as of course they will be NTSC.

Although I think - but not sure - that HK is PAL.

Anyway, there's that and the power supply problems - unpredictable results using transformers, for example - and what you do if there's a problem and you need service.

I guess it's all about making absolutely sure of the specifications, weighing up the drawbacks and advantages, and making a decision on that basis.

A

Anonymous

Sound advice and knowledge really helps, thanks

Ive come across this PAL NTSC issue before and its all swaying towards NOT buying from abroad. I just think there's people out there using TVs from foreign countries with no issues, or had to do a little mod to make it work

2-3k is a lot to save here

My supplier assures me it's compactable (he says LOL) as he has sold Kuros to the UK before

Ive asked him to send me the instruction books and ill can check the specific details from there. He has done that apparently!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It seems that PAL market TVs will usually handle NTSC source material perfectly well, but whether this works in reverse on NTSC-market models is less clear.

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
I could be completely wrong about this, but I think my amp has the option to choose between PAL and NTSC. Can the amp convert PAL to NTSC, to be compatible with the tv?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
rob_981:I could be completely wrong about this, but I think my amp has the option to choose between PAL and NTSC. Can the amp convert PAL to NTSC, to be compatible with the tv?

Maybe, but on some amps it just affects how the OSD/GUI is displayed.

A

Anonymous

dunnichen:

Sound advice and knowledge really helps, thanks

Ive come across this PAL NTSC issue before and its all swaying towards NOT buying from abroad. I just think there's people out there using TVs from foreign countries with no issues, or had to do a little mod to make it work

2-3k is a lot to save here

My supplier assures me it's compactable (he says LOL) as he has sold Kuros to the UK before

Ive asked him to send me the instruction books and ill can check the specific details from there. He has done that apparently!

If PAL NTSC conversion is the issue, you can either get TVs with Multi-System that play both PAL and NTSC or you could get something like this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts