Buying Chinese?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Think we should really think now ,what we buy from now onwards ! Too many electronics goods are coming in . And we should think whether we need to buy Chinese ! and whether there is a UK made alternative . Okay it probably more expensive. But with this virus hitting this Country of ours and the rest of the world . We should think very clearly on this ! Remember it is the Chinese Govt that caused this huge Pandemic to hit our shores and millions, like me unemployed ! / I do believe the UK and EU will put big import duties on all goods coming from China . On such goods as Electronics ,TVs Mobile phones and white goods too. And only on PPE equipment no duty ! But i think even on this ,i think we can produce it here in the UK or get the PPE from Europe ! Its not the Chinese people i blame , they are just doing there job ! But controlled by a Communist Country

DCarmi

You do realise that quite a few "British" hifi manufacturers are owned by a Chinese company? e.g. Wharefedale, Mission, Quad and Audiolab to name a few. Most electronics will have a large quantity of components manufactured in China. Many items will be assembled there (a lot of Apple stuff for example). Even US companies like Marantz (HQ Japan) have equipment manufactured in China. I think my PM6006 is Vietnamese but my CD5005 is made in China. Vietnam has cheap labour and good lines of communication with China.

British companies like B&W (HQ in California, now) have speakers made in China. Basically, much of the common consumer level stuff people but will either be mostly or partly made in China.

If you go upmarket e.g. Linn, you'll might be more likely to be less China-dependent hifi.

White goods is even more of a lottery. Now that there is an established rail link between the EU and China and an open trade agreement, it is easy to ship such things in. You'll find Candy, Hoover and Bosch white goods with a "Made in PRC" label.

I am afraid we live in a globalised world and it is almost impossible for a UK consumer to avoid buying foreign. Perhaps a better question would be, "We knew a pandemic was likely many years ago, why were we not better prepared for it?"

jjbomber

. Vietnam has cheap labour and good lines of communication with China.

Vietnam, a country of 83 million people, has had 245 cases of Coronavirus and no deaths at all. Even all the British people who arrived there positive have been cured. We should be looked at copying their model.

Given the current Coronavirus numbers, we shouldn't buy anything from the USA, Italy, Spain and the UK.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
We need to stand up on our own and make things here ! I remember many PLASMA TVs made in the UK and never made in China. To get this Country back on its feet, we need to do this and try not to relie on Chinese stuff or any Asian manufactured electrical goods. Have the tech ,so why not ? We seriously have to do this , otherwise we are doomed as a manufacturing nation.

D

Deleted member 108165

Sorry but the doom was set in stone in the 1980's. We have some brilliant engineers in this country, but we have become a financial and service sector economy, with very little of a manufacturing base left.

Reactions: robjcooper

DCarmi

Much UK made electronics are actually just bolt-it-together shops, like Cello and Ferguson, which is fine. Many such factories closed over the past 2 or three years and relocated to Europe (Indesit for example). The same applies to some of your genuine British food plants. The sort of stuff you'd think of as British as scones and cream. HP Sauce, made in Holland, Colmans Mustard, Germany, Cadbury's chocolate, all over the world but much of the UK product comes from Poland.

The biggest crime, IMHO, was the sale of ARM Holdings to the Softbank. If ever there was a British company with a massively bright future, it was ARM. However, the economic in 2016 downturn meant it was available for a song and the Japanese snapped it up.

DougK is right. The future of UK science and engineering is worrying. If you decide to switch the economy to a more low tax, low wage one, you fundamentally change the nature of the place and you don't need so many skilled people.

The problem now is that the things have been compounded by Covid. The government needs to decide whether to double down on their plans or reign back. I'd guess foreign investment from Asia would be the obvious solution.

Jimboo

We need to stand up on our own and make things here ! I remember many PLASMA TVs made in the UK and never made in China. To get this Country back on its feet, we need to do this and try not to relie on Chinese stuff or any Asian manufactured electrical goods. Have the tech ,so why not ? We seriously have to do this , otherwise we are doomed as a manufacturing nation.
Yeah, we don't manufacturer anything fella, haven't for years. Chi-nah is cheap just like us.
Lucky for you we can still produce croc shoes and union jack shorts.
Your desire to make Britain great again (sigh) would may have been possible if we had realised that leaving Europe and standing alone in the world will only leave us more reliant on the big players.

CyrusWire

Jul 13, 2020
Visit site
Think we should really think now ,what we buy from now onwards ! Too many electronics goods are coming in . And we should think whether we need to buy Chinese ! and whether there is a UK made alternative . Okay it probably more expensive. But with this virus hitting this Country of ours and the rest of the world . We should think very clearly on this ! Remember it is the Chinese Govt that caused this huge Pandemic to hit our shores and millions, like me unemployed ! / I do believe the UK and EU will put big import duties on all goods coming from China . On such goods as Electronics ,TVs Mobile phones and white goods too. And only on PPE equipment no duty ! But i think even on this ,i think we can produce it here in the UK or get the PPE from Europe ! Its not the Chinese people i blame , they are just doing there job ! But controlled by a Communist
Think we should really think now ,what we buy from now onwards ! Too many electronics goods are coming in . And we should think whether we need to buy Chinese ! and whether there is a UK made alternative . Okay it probably more expensive. But with this virus hitting this Country of ours and the rest of the world . We should think very clearly on this ! Remember it is the Chinese Govt that caused this huge Pandemic to hit our shores and millions, like me unemployed ! / I do believe the UK and EU will put big import duties on all goods coming from China . On such goods as Electronics ,TVs Mobile phones and white goods too. And only on PPE equipment no duty ! But i think even on this ,i think we can produce it here in the UK or get the PPE from Europe ! Its not the Chinese people i blame , they are just doing there job ! But controlled by a Communist Country

It's a really good question, China seems to have little regard for the world and I think as a nation China's influence will lead to much strife and turmoil. As such, in a similar vein to the boycotting by nations of despotic regimes, I'm making informed choices about where my goods come from and certainly don't want to feed the monster that I see China as being. At the moment I'm looking for a high quality wireless speaker, the Naim Muso Sq2 was on my list, started shopping for best price and to see where I could have a listen to one. I emailed Naim to ask where it was manufactured, I had hoped that this swedish brand would at least use a European manufacturer . Alas, it turns out it's made in China. I'm sure there's a market to be tapped into for those who've had enough of China. It might not change the world overnight but it's an easy thing for me to do and boycotts have been effective in the past.

Jimboo

It's a hard choice (naim) are not Swedish they are in Wiltshire , part French owned I think. The muso is made in China. China do have an appalling record but their manafactuaring power is based on western buyers saving costs and China compliance in cheap labour. If they make it then they will surely copy/improve/produce cheaper quality products which we will buy.
The fine line is Britain changing tack by investing in apprenticeship programs again and the chance of producing skilled workers. Producing home grown manafactuaring bases and keeping costs low while still allowing people to earn decent wages in the UK is not going to happen quickly (if at all). In hifi as in other things investment is welcomed and no one cares where it's from. Hence China with its fingers everywhere. Brexit and making our own way out of Europe will not help us compete. What we have isn't ours and it will take a difficult ,heroic and painful journey to change things. A time for Europe to stick together. We however pretty much imposed economic sanctions on ourselves.
Your stance is admirable and well meaning. As it stands this country will soon find out that going alone wasn't the best option.
I fear you will struggle for awhile to back Britain.

CyrusWire

Jul 13, 2020
Visit site
I'm sure backing a European manufacturer would have a positive rub on UK economy, so European is the net I have in which to catch my speakers. I see Audio Pro C10 has a badge on its box saying designed and engineered in Sweden, I don't know the answer yet but I suspect if it was made in Europe they would have included that info on their proud statement.

CyrusWire

Jul 13, 2020
Visit site
Well. Even though my separates system fell victim that that affliction known as a 'Wife' who thought they took up too much space I did find two left in the attic. A Denon cassette player with 'made In Japan ' on the box and a Marantz CD player made in Belgium. Ok, so the Japanese slaughter whales and weren't exactly best friends with Europe around 80 years ago but they don't seem to meddle too much with the world. Besides I was a younger poorer person when I bought these items and less tuned in to where my goods were coming from. If Marantz could make a good CD player in Europe back then I'm sure they could make stuff again, I for one wouldn't mind paying a little more for it to be made in Europe/UK. I had looked at the Marantz Pm7000N as a starting point for a new system but I'm up against that space/wife conundrum again plus I'll bet that's made in China too. Upside is tgat with wireless they don't all have to be gathered together and I think I'd be happy with just a streaming box like the Marantz plus a good set of wireless speakers.

Attachments

• DSC_1802.JPG
    DSC_1802.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_1800.JPG
    DSC_1800.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

jjbomber

and a Marantz CD player made in Belgium.

Belgium has the highest rate of infection per head in Europe by a large margin. As an aside, it seems everyone on the forum has owned at least one Marantz product in their life!

Vietnam has 97 million people and not a single death. Patient 91 is back home in Scotland now. Not sure what hi-fi they make!

CyrusWire

Jul 13, 2020
Visit site
Audio Pro confirm their speakers are made in China. I've asked Dali about theirs as I read an article about some of theirs being made in Denmark. It does feel like I'm painting myself into a corner here but I will persist.

CyrusWire

Jul 13, 2020
Visit site
Dali manufacture in Denmark, though components can come from China, unsurprisingly enough.
They do, but only their very high end units. The rest are manufactured in China but will have the rather clever "Designed and Engineered in Denmark" sticker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts