Buying an AMP for bookshelf speakers

niceaudio123

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi everybody,

I had an old kenwood stereo system that broke but the speakers seem to still be working.

I want to buy a cheap amp to drive them but I don't understand how to choose one that fits (Input power, Impedence).

This is a photo of the speaker with the requirements:

1596110960534.png

This one for example says 50W, does it fit? https://www.amazon.com/Fosi-Audio-Bluetooth-Amplifier-Integrated/dp/B07Y89R72P

What should I be aware of when choosing one? (I prefer one with a USB IN so I can connect my laptop directly without analogue cable).

Thanks!

Reactions: Sayan
D

Deleted member 116933

Hi there. Your on the right track and seems to be a good fit. Seems like it fits your needs and is rated at 4omhs. So will drive your speakers fine.

The only other things that I know of would be Denon midi systems but there more budget wise And I don’t believe it have has usb. Think JVC do one over here but no sure about state side.

I’m sure someone else will be long with a few more options but what you’ve chosen seems fine to me

Reactions: Gray

niceaudio123

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
Thank you!
Another question - Am I correct about my insistance to buy an amp+dac? Or should I buy an even cheaper amp without a dac? (I'm using a laptop for listening to music)

D

Deleted member 116933

Thank you!
Another question - Am I correct about my insistance to buy an amp+dac? Or should I buy an even cheaper amp without a dac? (I'm using a laptop for listening to music)

In general l like to keep thinks separated, especially things such as DACs, as digital moves along at a very quick pace. Not to mention if one part of the device fails then you've lost a portion of its functionality. But having said that there's absolutely nothing wrong with buying an integrated unit it's just something be aware of is all

Reactions: niceaudio123

Gray

I'm very interested in the Topping MX3 myself. Users seem to like it and there's a favourable mini-review in the current Hi-Fi Choice magazine.
I think it could suit your purposes perfectly.

Your speakers quote 20 Watt maximum. Don't take too much notice of that - many people use amps rated higher than their speakers. Having said that, it is quite a low quoted maximum and possibly quite realistic for stack-system speakers, so go easy.
Just ensure you don't play at silly volume levels, you never want to hear any distorted sound.

As a bonus, the MX3 is even cheaper than what you were considering - although that looks like it could be quite decent too.
And I wouldn't worry about keeping the DAC separate at this level - quite a nice convenience to have it built-in (arguably wiser to keep it separate when spending a lot more).
Available in black or silver:

Last edited:

niceaudio123

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
I'm very interested in the Topping MX3 myself. Users seem to like it and there's a favourable mini-review in the current Hi-Fi Choice magazine.
I think it could suit your purposes perfectly.

Your speakers quote 20 Watt maximum. Don't take too much notice of that - many people use amps rated higher than their speakers. Having said that, it is quite a low quoted maximum and possibly quite realistic for stack-system speakers, so go easy.
Just ensure you don't play at silly volume levels, you never want to hear any distorted sound.

As a bonus, the MX3 is even cheaper than what you were considering - although that looks like it could be quite decent too.
And I wouldn't worry about keeping the DAC separate at this level - quite a nice convenience to have it built-in (arguably wiser to keep it separate when spending a lot more).
Available in black or silver:

This looks good!
However, it says something technical about USB IN that I don't understand:
The Topping one is 44-96Khz/16bit-24bit
The Fosi Audio one is 24bit/192Khz

Is this significant?

D

Deleted member 116933

"The Fosi Audio one is 24bit/192Khz" just means its a little more future proof is all (if high res kick-off)

Gray

The Topping one is 44-96Khz/16bit-24bit
The Fosi Audio one is 24bit/192Khz

Is this significant?
That's a good question - and ultimately one only you can answer.
I've got several 24 bit 48kHz, 96kHz and 192kHz downloads. A 48kHz one sounds best. Why? Because it was a better recording. People will (rightly) tell you that well-recorded 16/44.1 CD quality is as good as 24/96 or 192 stuff for sound quality.
They'd say that hi-res is an irrelevance - never mind the 'difference' between 96 and 192!

Note that a 96kHz max USB will still play any 192kHz USB file - but downsampled rather than at its native resolution. In practice you won't hear a difference.
So no, not significant, I wouldn't let it be the deciding factor.

Last edited:

niceaudio123

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
Guys I just got the MX3 delivered and I have to say it upgraded my HIFI experience in a surprising way.

I'm no audiophile but I noticed the difference significantly. To be honest I didn't expect the audio to be this warm-sounding and high quality coming from my old speakers.

Thank you very much for the great advice!

Gray

Guys I just got the MX3 delivered and I have to say it upgraded my HIFI experience in a surprising way.

I'm no audiophile but I noticed the difference significantly. To be honest I didn't expect the audio to be this warm-sounding and high quality coming from my old speakers.

Thank you very much for the great advice!
Probably helps that you're not an audiophool.
'Any DAC below £1000 is not worth the effort' is a quote I saw from one of them 😃

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts