Buying a new Panasonic TV - inbuilt or PVR tuner is best?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm thinking about buying a 37" Panasonic and had tended towards LCD rather than plasma. There seem to be so many to choose from and I've viewed a few in the local dealer shop. The thought occurred to me that most reviews are done using the in-built tuners but as I will be using a PVR to record, isn't it the latter's signal that really defines the picture quality or am I missing something? I've only had the experience of our existing analogue Toshiba set and our Freeview PVR makes the picture a lot better. So does the in-built digital tuner enhance the PVR signal or is it bypassed? In which case I might just as well get a cheaper Pana 37" set and let the PVR do the work. I plan to stick with Freeview but if anyone can give advice on these signal/display issues and Panasonic 37" TVs suitable for anticipating the Freeview HD broadcasts, I would be very grateful.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Some TVs do have better-quality tuners than others - but, as you say, if you're watching a TV feed from another source (whether that be Sky, Virgin etc or a PVR), that's not going to sway your decision in favour of a particular set.

However, the quality of a TV's tuner is only one element of its picture performance. There's the quality of the base panel itself - LCD or plasma; the quality of upscaling for SD sources; the motion-processing; colour management; lighting; connectivity....all these and more have an impact on what you see.

The higher-specification sets tend to use better-quality panels and software engineering as well as boasting extra features (including superior sound - something that may/may not be of importance to you, depending on your sonic set-up).

So, in short - don't waste money on features you don't need (Freesat tuner, say, or internet connectivity if you don't want that), but do go for the best you can budget for: hopefully your set will provide lots of enjoyment for years to come...

...talking of which, we have a 37in TV Supertest due in our February issue (on sale January 6th).

And re Freeview HD - looks like first set-top boxs, sets, PVRs etc will hit shops around March time. No set on sale today will be able to receive Freeview hd without adding an extra box or recorder.

A

Anonymous

Clare - thanks for the info and I appreciate what you say about the display aspects. The Panasonic TXL37S10 seems to get good write ups for it's picture and I have been considering this model with a view to buying one in the Xmas/Jan sales, to be followed by a new Freesat HD PVR when they arrive. I will now have to exercise some restraint until your Supertest is out!

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
free box free installation when you buy tvs from certain wholesalers so its still worth it

the freesat tvs are slightly dearer than those without so even if you get the subscribtion you still keep the box so no need for freesat bbc hd is free after a year

daveh75

tvspecv:the freesat tvs are slightly dearer than those without so even if you get the subscribtion you still keep the box so no need for freesat bbc hd is free after a year Yes,but the OP is considering a Freesat PVR, so he doesn't need to pay the premium for a tv with intergated Freesat tuner..

Yes you can get a Free Sky HD box and cancel the subs after a year(will cost £336 minimum for the year) and then ceases to be a PVR if you do cancel.

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
okay daveh75 i wave the white flag!

the recording ends!
emotion-9.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts