Question Buying A New Amp, Where Do I Start?

Genesis Fan

Nov 3, 2019
Visit site
What Amp Do I Buy??? It Must Have Digital Inputs To Connect My Minidisc Player & Enough Analogue Inputs To Connect A Tape Deck Etc Etc. Looking For Taut Controlled Bass With Good Clear Mid range And Slightly Warm Top End To Suit B&W DM 602 S3 Speakers. Looking At Marantz 6006, Yamaha AS 501 Or 701 Denon 800 NE Or IOTA VX SA3 Have £400 Budget.

matthewpiano

The Denon is a good prospect. I have had the PMA720ae (predecessor to the 800) before and it combined clarity and warmth well, with good balance across the frequency range. The 800 is essentially the same amp with a DAC and a few tweaks so I can't imagine it being much different.

The Marantz is also excellent but has a smoother, slightly less punchy sound.

Reactions: nopiano

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
I use a Cambridge Audio CXA80 and have been very pleased with it. Picked it up 2nd hand (but excellent condition) for about your budget.
For a "slightly warm top end", reduce the treble level slightly. The CXA80 is very clean - what goes in is what comes out, but louder.

Chris

What Amp Do I Buy??? It Must Have Digital Inputs To Connect My Minidisc Player & Enough Analogue Inputs To Connect A Tape Deck Etc Etc. Looking For Taut Controlled Bass With Good Clear Mid range And Slightly Warm Top End To Suit B&W DM 602 S3 Speakers. Looking At Marantz 6006, Yamaha AS 501 Or 701 Denon 800 NE Or IOTA VX SA3 Have £400 Budget.

I know the 602S3’s well as I used to sell them. What amp and MDP are you using please?

Last edited:
Looking For Taut Controlled Bass With Good Clear Mid range And Slightly Warm Top End To Suit B&W DM 602 S3 Speakers.

Thanks for your reply. If you've got a couple of digital sources with digital outs that are compatible with the dig. ins of the MDP then i would recommend using the MDP as a DAC and look at the used market for a Rotel's RA-1062. The RA-1062 is an analogue only amp with ample inputs but one which will give you the presentation that you're after. IME a great match with 602 S3's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts