Buying a New Amp & CD Player Advise

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I need a new amp and cd player. I have between £400 and £500 to spend, can anyone recommend the best system to buy. I have been give alot of conflicting advise but most people say either the Marantz CD6002 & PM6002, or the Cambridge Audio 540A & 540C.

Or is there something better for my money?

Rich

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi there, there's a big test of one-make hi-fi systems (CD player/amp/speakers) coming up in our January 09 issue, on sale next week (Dec 11th). Includes our verdict on the Marantz system you mention with Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 2 speakers , plus complete systems from Cambridge Audio (£450) and NAD/Q Acoustics (£495). Well worth reading before you buy.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that advise, i will go out in January and buy that mag and have a good read.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yeah i'd definitly be going for the NAD set-up as well but you can contact Superfi and ask them to add the Tannoy F1 speakers as theyre better than the QAcoustic speakers.

If youre not a fan of either of those mentioned speakers it wouldnt do you any harm to see if you can get yourself a set of Monitor Audio BR2's off eBay (Peter Tyson is selling a number of sets currently for £160) or you could take a look at a decent sent of B&W 601 S3 speakers. Both sets of speakers on decent stands would sould superb with the NAD system.

What would be handy to know is what music do you listen to?

T

the record spot

Think you'll be fine with the NAD kit - I was most chuffed to see the self-same system coming out on top when this month's issue dropped through the letterbox on Monday morning!

A

Anonymous

I have just bought the jan issue of What Hi-Fi and i see an advert on pg 134 for Richer sounds selling this deal.

Cambridge Audio 640Av2 + Cambridge Audio 640C v2 with a pair of Mordaunt Short 902i speakers for £399.

Would this be the best to go for or would you still choice something else. I am currently swaying towards the Marantz PM6002+CD6002 with possible Mordaunt Short 902i speakers but this would cost me in the region of £600 or with the Dali Lektor 1 speakers for an extra £49 (total price £649)

The difference is £200, any advise will be greatfully received as i intend to buy asap

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'd be inclined to get a DacMagic, use it with your old cdp or dvdp and then spend the rest on the best amplifier you can. Plenty of choice but if it was my money I'd save a bit more to look at amps around the £350 to £500 mark. Rega Brio and Denon PMA1500ae being just two of them depending on how you like your music. A bit more money but a step up from entry level stuff and worth it in the long run if you're not in a rush.

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I've just noticed you need speakers as well which you didn't mention in your original post.

I stay with what I said previously and add a s/h pair of MS20i pearls in the interim until you can afford better speakers. These 20i's have a lot of EPOS knowhow/engineering and I've yet to hear a better bookshelf for under £250, including the 914's which, imo, are not very nice. Available of ebay for £20-£50 depending on condition.

regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts