Buy this amp or not. What is wise?

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I will buy the Exposure 3010S2 amp. I can buy it now new for 1500 Euro. But in 2 months there will be a 3010s3. This said Exposure:

"it has a new pre amp board that can also accept an optional DAC plug in board with one USB with DSD support as a coax input. The sound is more open. The price has also increased.

What is wise? Nuy the current 3010S2 for a good price or waiting for the new one who will have a higher price?

D

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXPOSURE-3010-s2-/271671872410?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3f40e7cb9a

There's also a couple of nice Exposure 17 pre-amps for sale at £400. You could buy one of them and wait for a matching power amp to come up.

Or stretch your budget and get something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exposure-23-XXIII-Pre-Amplifier-28-XXVIII-Dual-Mono-Power-Amplifier-/400791097928?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item5d5102d248

Or get an amp from a different manufacturer. Plenty of interesting amps for less than 1500 euros here:

http://www.ebay.de/sch/Verst%C3%A4rker-Vorverst%C3%A4rker-/14970/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=&LH_ItemCondition=3000&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=1500&_sop=3&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

For example the Sony 770 ES's.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
€1500 is a nice discount but not so great an opportunity that cannot be missed. And once the 3010s3 is released, you may find the previous version going on for lower prices—depending on how much stock is available. Also, there is that one posted before going on in eBay right now for £949—I just took a quick look at it and don't have any reason to recommend this particular purchase.

Another matter is whether the 3010s3 will really be available in 2–3 months, and you won't be left waiting for longer. Releasing a new product is tough and sometimes smaller vendors struggle to meet their own expectations.

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Exposure said te new one will be beginn January. But also at a higher price; 2000-2100 Euro.

That one on Ebay i can't buy because i'm living in Germany and then no warranty.

rainsoothe

unsleepable said:
€1500 is a nice discount but not so great an opportunity that cannot be missed. And once the 3010s3 is released, you may find the previous version going on for lower prices—depending on how much stock is available. Also, there is that one posted before going on in eBay right now for £949—I just took a quick look at it and don't have any reason to recommend this particular purchase.

Another matter is whether the 3010s3 will really be available in 2–3 months, and you won't be left waiting for longer. Releasing a new product is tough and sometimes smaller vendors struggle to meet their own expectations.

+1

I would also wait for this exact reason: it's not so long, and either the new version is so awesome that you'll wanna go for that, or the new version will suck and you can get the old version cheaper 'cause dealers will want to clear their stock.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Buying an outgoing model is almost always more economical. Have you got the money for the new one? If yes wait but Exposure amplifiers are usually evolutionary rather the revol... .

They are just catching up with everyone else, putting in a DAC board and probably squeeze a few more watts out of the same circuit (assumption).

You could have a lovely Xmas holiday enjoying and playing with your new system or you can buy when the January blues sets in and belt tightening starts, back at work with hardly any time to play ... :)

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
It is possible that i don't the new sound of Exposure. Dealer here don't have Exposure in stock. When you want one they ordered it by the distributor.

Also new Exposure will cost 2000-2100 euro. Present one now 1500 euro.

Also i will go streaming. I need a new cd player but i asked several dealer and everone said go streaming. Buy a cdp is not a good investment.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
To be honest, if you are planning to spend that much on an amplifier and want to add streaming and a cdp I would probably look at something like cyrus's Lyric 05 or something similar from Naim but that's just me.

regards

rainsoothe

obiwan kenobi said:
Also i will go streaming. I need a new cd player but i asked several dealer and everone said go streaming. Buy a cdp is not a good investment.

Arcam CDS27 does both, so you could test that - it's new and it's Arcam, so it should be at least a decent listen. Also, why not audition something like Naim Unitilite?

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I never likes Naim. Also no Naim for me. I see that Arcam aslo have a new amp; the A39. But don't know how it sounds compared with the Exposure. The Arcam cost 1620 Euro.

By the way; I will not buy a streamer and a cdp. Only a streamer.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
obiwan kenobi said:
That one on Ebay i can't buy because i'm living in Germany and then no warranty.

If you are buying with an invoice, you'd of course have warranty. Normally from the dealer, but you could also drop Exposure a message to confirm everything would be in order. Seriously, one of the things that is done well in Germany is shipping. It's faster and cheaper than anywhere else I've lived.

If you haven't yet, I'd make a point to audition the Arcam A39 it before moving on with the Exposure.

Where did you find the A39 for €1620? I see it's listed everywhere at €1800.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I was a bit cynical about naim products but forget the name (naim) and just listen to the music! It sounds great - and it's a very flexible unit in what it does - not heard the lyric but it does get good reviews too.

tonky

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
i haven't heard the Arcam A39 yet. Don't know of it sounds good and better than the Exposure.

If you are interested i can give you the name of the dealer who sells the Arcam new for 1620 Euro.

I'm still in dubt what to do. That's because i don't want pay too much, otherwise buy a old modell is maybe also not so good. And i can't at the moment never hear the arcam.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If you could buy an Exposure vintage dual mono pre/power, you will be the coolest person on any audiophile forum. People with Krell monoblocks will flirt with you and ask to stop buy and hear your hifi.

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I never see them second hand. The choice will be Exposure now for a good price, or wait fore the new model. And Arcam A39? I really don't know because till now no one has it. In the past i found Arcam had a nice warm sound but also too slow and boring.

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
By the way; i don't think i will go streaming. Too espensive! From the dealer a system that is good for music:

Auralic ares streamer for 1499 Euro with a Qnap ts-251 for 398,-- and with 2 Western Digital for 130,--. This is 2027 Euro! And i have no ipad. Something like a ipad must i also buy.

Then can i better buy a new cdp like the Naim 5si or Rega Apollo!

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
What so you'd pay 300 euros more for a 1000 euro amp, just to get the warranty?

Exposure amps are reliable. And if it did go wrong early in its life (or even later on) I'm sure Exposure would be very good about sorting it out in a way that left you happy. They are a well established reputable company.

We live in the EU now. The old European borders don't really mean anything any more. I've bought off UK and German ebay in the past and would do so again without hesitation.

Is there any particular reason for you being so fond of the Exposure brand, and inparticular their budget 3010? For sure they're decent amps, but loads of other companies have made better amps than the 3010, including Exposure themselves.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
obiwan kenobi said:
If you are interested i can give you the name of the dealer who sells the Arcam new for 1620 Euro.

Yes, please. Not that I have the intention of buying one now, but if this is a dealer with good prices I'd like to check it.

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
The Exposure 3010S2 is a very good amp. I'm only interested how are the Arcam A39 sounds compared with the Exposure.

I became this answer from Exposure about the amp on Ebay:

"there will be no warranty, that is for the original buyer only and is not transferable"

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
That should hurt re-selling prices for Exposure gear. And makes you wonder why they are so eager to get out of the warranty as soon as possible.

In one occasion or another I've checked the stand of other vendors in relation to the warranty of their products when sold second-hand. From the top of my head I recall that Arcam, Naim and Kef will honor the warranty. Arcam and Kef also extend the warranty of some products to 5 years when they have been registered—but this must be done within the next few weeks after the original purchase. Naim offers something similar but I think that only the original purchaser can benefit from the warranty extension, and I'm not sure if this works in all of EU as it does for Arcam or Kef.

I think that when a vendor does not have issues to cover the warranty of a product regardless of owner, and even offers the option of an extended warranty, it shows that they are confident of the build quality of their products. And the opposite, equally true.

What was again that dealer that you mentioned?

TRENDING THREADS