Buy B&W 805 or AVI ADM 9.1 + sub

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I own some B&W 805d with roksan caspian pre pro for almost a year now, i bought it 2nd hand for a good price, now I have the funds to by some new 805 D's.

Bt after reading some good things about AVI ADM + sub I am thinking of selling the whole set and buy the AVI + sub + good streamer.

any thoughts?

GeorgeK said:
I own some B&W 805d with roksan caspian pre pro for almost a year now, i bought it 2nd hand for a good price, now I have the funds to by some new 805 D's.

Bt after reading some good things about AVI ADM + sub I am thinking of selling the whole set and buy the AVI + sub + good streamer.

any thoughts?

Hi GerogeK

How would you descibe the presentation and the performance of the Caspian/805s combination?

What source component/s are you using?

What do you generally listen to

The size of your listening room?

With AVI's or 805D's what improvements are you looking for over your Caspian/805s.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

You need to audition some AVIs with sub to make a decision. Where are you located?

A

Anonymous

Source is Caspian cd player, maybe the AVI would give a more neutral/detailled sound because it is an active speaker. And of course I could spend the money saved in the new Panasonic 65 VT 50 ;)

I am located in Liege, Belgium. But I work 1x a week in Rotterdam, so I think I would visit a shop there. I know some guy at work who owned the ADM 9, now he owns other speakers, but he said the AVI was very good for the money and for my not so big room (3*5 mtrs).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You would need to get a demo of both options in order to see how they both perform, and see which you prefer. Whilst they both have the same size bass driver, the 805's have a much larger cabinet volume, so they're going to dig deeper, and one of the biggest differences will be the tweeter. Having the tweeter outside the box (or in it's own separate compartment) does make a significant difference, as we've heard on the PM1's and KEF Reference range. It just makes it more expensive to do.

It's really a case of assessing what it is your system lacks, and looking at the possible areas of the system that might be causing it, if anything.

As you already own 805D's, I'd stick with them and look at amplification - there's plenty out there, it's just a case of choosing some that you like the sound of with the B&W's.

A

Anonymous

I own the B&W 805S, i could not edit my first post, sorry.

The 805D was the better speaker against the 805S.

But ADM + sub would maybe give more punch and more detailled sound.

westerniser

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I once owned som ADM9.1 and they were decent speakers. I since upgraded to Naim / Harbeth took me up quite a few notches in sound quality. I recently demo'd the 805d and they were probably the best small speakers I have heard, and that was on the end of a Supernait. Expensive though.

I would buy ADM9t in the future but as a second system / deskop comupter setup.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts