Building my system from Exposure 1010 integrated amp

ColonelBlimp

Apr 11, 2021
Visit site
Hello,

I'm looking for options to build my hifi system keeping the only good component I currently have: an Exposure 1010 integrated amplifier.

The rest of my hifi system (for the lack of a better term)? Mordaunt Short MS914 & Sony CD XE 270. I also use a Chromecast audio to listen to Spotify.

Also important, the room: 3 x 5 metres.

My goal is to upgrade the CD player and the speakers, as well as adding a DAC (probably a separate module) and a streamer. Budget? I reckon between £1,500 and £1,800 in total.

So far, I've considered:
- CD transport: Audiolab 6000 CDT. The Exposure 1010 CD player doesn't seem to be available and I'm reluctant to by on Ebay/second hand. Also, I'm not sure there would be much to win from the supposed synergy between amplifier and CD player from the same brand.
- DAC: Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 or Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M (I'm also aware of the tons of options from brands like Topping, SMSL and similar).
- Streamer: Primare NP5. What I like about this option (apart from Primare's reputation) is that integrates Spotify Connect and has Chromecast built-in, as I suppose other streamers do. I'm not particularly keen to use apps built by HiFi brands (many seem underwhelming).

What I don't know? The speakers. I suspect this is where finding the right match with the Exposure 1010 (and the room) is most important. But apart from that and everything I've read about popular speakers (mostly bookshelfs) around £500, I'm completely lost.

My questions, in case anyone in the forum has the time to answer them:
1. Are the options above for CD tranport, DAC and streamer 'good enough' for the Exposure 1010? Am I missing something? At this price- and quality-range, is there anything to gain in terms of sound quality from other options (perhaps more expensive)?
2. Are there speakers known to be a good fit for the Exposure 1010 (or newer/similar amps of the same brand)?
3. Is my budget (£1,500-1,800) reasonable to end up with a balanced hifi system?

Thanks

Last edited:
1. Yes, I think they’re good enough, and there are of course many other possibilities. The Exposure CD players will obviously match physically if the appearance matters, and they’re very decent designs. Your existing CCA can be used with an external DAC with good results. However, I think you should choose between Streamer, CD player (and DAC if necessary) based on how important each medium is. For example, if you’ve 1,000s of CDs then a decent player might be a good investment. Much as I like Primare, the NP5 seems to have had a slightly bumpy start, needing lots of updates, but it’s a very neat box. So is the BluesoundNode 2i which comes with a great app by all accounts, and which can be upgraded with an external DAC.

2. Pretty much any speaker in the £500 to £800 range that I can think of will do fine with your amp. I’m not aware of any brand that’s considered an especially good match, but others may know better. Is there any model you’ve heard that you particularly like?

ColonelBlimp

Apr 11, 2021
Visit site
1. Yes, I think they’re good enough, and there are of course many other possibilities. The Exposure CD players will obviously match physically if the appearance matters, and they’re very decent designs. Your existing CCA can be used with an external DAC with good results. However, I think you should choose between Streamer, CD player (and DAC if necessary) based on how important each medium is. For example, if you’ve 1,000s of CDs then a decent player might be a good investment. Much as I like Primare, the NP5 seems to have had a slightly bumpy start, needing lots of updates, but it’s a very neat box. So is the BluesoundNode 2i which comes with a great app by all accounts, and which can be upgraded with an external DAC.
Thanks for the suggestions. I prefer listening to CDs. So that would be my priority. The BlueSound Node 2i looks like an interesting option.

2. Pretty much any speaker in the £500 to £800 range that I can think of will do fine with your amp. I’m not aware of any brand that’s considered an especially good match, but others may know better. Is there any model you’ve heard that you particularly like?
That's what I suspected. I haven't had many opportunities to listen to speakers lately. I remember I liked a pair of Monitor Audio bookshelfs (I'm not sure what model). Sorry I can't be more specific.

That's what I suspected. I haven't had many opportunities to listen to speakers lately. I remember I liked a pair of Monitor Audio bookshelfs (I'm not sure what model). Sorry I can't be more specific.
Fair enough. It’s like choosing wallpaper for somebody else, unfortunately!, so best consider one or more of these approaches imo:-
1. Find a dealer when you can once more visit for a demo to hear a few types
2. Buy something returnable such as Peter Tyson offers on open box items.
3. Buy used on eBay that you can resell at little loss.

Here is an example for 2. https://petertyson.co.uk/open-box-dali-oberon-3-bookshelf-speakers-walnut?___SID=U

Reactions: ColonelBlimp

ColonelBlimp

Apr 11, 2021
Visit site
Fair enough. It’s like choosing wallpaper for somebody else, unfortunately!, so best consider one or more of these approaches imo:-
1. Find a dealer when you can once more visit for a demo to hear a few types
2. Buy something returnable such as Peter Tyson offers on open box items.
3. Buy used on eBay that you can resell at little loss.

Here is an example for 2. https://petertyson.co.uk/open-box-dali-oberon-3-bookshelf-speakers-walnut?___SID=U
Thanks so much. Very helpful advice.

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts