Build me a System....

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I have a Linn Classik Music plus Majik 2100 biamped into B&W 685's through which I stream music through a Sonos system and also ocasionally use those antiquated music thingys called CD's.

I do actually like the syatem but let's face it we all get bored from time to time or seek out the Nirvana of systems so I am speculating on the make up of a system that may work for me.

I listen to mainly rock, occasionally more sedate female vocal stuff (e.g. Nerine Pallot) and very occasionally classical. System and sound needs to be well defined to deal with the nuances of the non-rock stuff but MUST have enough bottom end to do justice to the rock. I may be quite happy to stick with the B&W's but would be interested to explore alternatives also. So there are 2 scenarios:

1. Complete new system of Amp/CD player and speakers. Budget £1500 max.

2. New Amp/CD Player to pair with 685's. Budget about £1200 max.

Room about 20 x 20.

I have heard good things about the new Marantz kit (PM and CD6004) but with the budget I have I can probably stretch a bit beyond that. Rotel is another suspect I have heard a lot about. I want to improve on what I have got if I am gonna spend. I heard the PM6003/CD6003 and found them great at the bottom end, lacking in detail compared to the Linn.

I use cans at night too and have a set of Grado SR80i's and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro - intend to keep them.

So...can those more knowledgeable and informed than I use their creative skills and recommend?

Have a Happy and safe Christmas all and thanks in advance.

Paulq said:
I have a Linn Classik Music plus Majik 2100 biamped into B&W 685's through which I stream music through a Sonos system and also ocasionally use those antiquated music thingys called CD's.

I do actually like the syatem but let's face it we all get bored from time to time or seek out the Nirvana of systems so I am speculating on the make up of a system that may work for me.

I listen to mainly rock, occasionally more sedate female vocal stuff (e.g. Nerine Pallot) and very occasionally classical. System and sound needs to be well defined to deal with the nuances of the non-rock stuff but MUST have enough bottom end to do justice to the rock. I may be quite happy to stick with the B&W's but would be interested to explore alternatives also. So there are 2 scenarios:

1. Complete new system of Amp/CD player and speakers. Budget £1500 max.

2. New Amp/CD Player to pair with 685's. Budget about £1200 max.

Room about 20 x 20.

I have heard good things about the new Marantz kit (PM and CD6004) but with the budget I have I can probably stretch a bit beyond that. Rotel is another suspect I have heard a lot about. I want to improve on what I have got if I am gonna spend. I heard the PM6003/CD6003 and found them great at the bottom end, lacking in detail compared to the Linn.

I use cans at night too and have a set of Grado SR80i's and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro - intend to keep them.

So...can those more knowledgeable and informed than I use their creative skills and recommend?

Have a Happy and safe Christmas all and thanks in advance.

You have to decide which component is the weak link in the system, or strongest and build the rest of the system around that. The best way of finding out is to audition, audition, audition...

Most budget end amps have sockets for headphones, so shouldn't be too much trouble there.

Make a short-list and cart you current system into a local dealer and compare.

We can only advise on our room acoustics and personal taste, yours could be so different.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
A lot of my thoughts from here remain the same: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/speakers-for-linn-classik

I don't know if the Leema Pulse (old model) is still available, but the Peachtree Nova is on sale here: http://marketing.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/clearance.aspx

I'm not sure if the sound will suit your taste in Rock, but it is a great amp for the money and so worth checking out.

As for a CDP, I would look to Rega Apollo.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Probably not Tino if honest. I do actually like the 685's a lot but am aware, as with the rest of the system, that time never stands still and that there may be more contemporary products out there that are equally as good or better.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
For £1249.99 will get you the Marantz PM KI pearl lite and The Marantz SA KI pearl lite CDP, which can be used a s a DAC as well.

Sweet. :dance:

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Moon thanks very much for that it's just the sort of suggestion I wanted so I can tray different combos. Dumb question but how would I use the CDP as a DAC? I mean practically, how would I connect it up etc? Does that impact on it's primary functionality as a CD player?

Presumably that would drive the 685's sufficiently?

Cheers - much appreciated.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
the Marantz SA KI Pearl lite has a USB, Coaxial and optical input in the back. It can be used in DAC mode. So if you are using your Sonos, just use the Coaxial or Optical out and plug it into the Marantz. Thus using the very well implemented DAC of the Marantz.

http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=HiFi&SubCatId=SACDCDPlayer&ProductId=SAKIPearlLite

Does this help........ pretty awesome system for the price. Some good heavy Queens of the Stonage and the Marantz will make your 685's work.!

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Yep helps a great deal so thanks again. I will definitely arrange a demo and see what I think before deciding whether or not to stick the Linn kit up for sale.

Slight aside in having just read the reviews of both products in WHF. Whilst the verdict is that they are both real quality they attracted 4 stars (still pretty good) with the CDP in particular being cited as less at home with content other than classical and jazz. I wonder how it will cope with AC/DC and UFO? :)

Would a Rotel or Kandy K2 be a better bet with a good CDP? 9though I am beginning to wonder if I actually NEED a CDP and cn spend the whole lot on the amp)

Cheers

Paul

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, reviews are reviews, and whilst being a good guide are no replacement for doing a proper demo. For what it's worth I have heard the Marantz combo with some very heavy Nine Inch Nails and the combo destroyed it.

Brilliant stuff. You may have different ideas though.

Maybe demo the new Audiolab combo along side it . The Audiolab Cdplayer has a similar DAC arrangement to the Marantz and by all accounts is very Tasty, but more expensive.

just for your thoughts AVI do some Active speakers which by all accounts are great but very honest. they have an optical connection in the back. you could plug the Sonos straight in .

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Some all in one options

Rotel RCX 150 http://www.rotel.com/UK/products/index.htm?cat=39

Marantz MCR603

Denon Ceol

Naim Unit.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I'll give Superfi a call in th morning and arrange to demo the Marantz stuff. Whilst I am there I may take a squiz at the Rotel RA1520 and the K2 as well. Not sure about the Audiolabs - don't know much about them.

matthewpiano

I think you are danger of downgrading here. Your Linn kit might be getting on but it is still superb hi-fi. My advice is to tread with care. If you really must change things I'd be looking at Rega (Brio-R and DAC or Apollo-R) or Naim (Nait 5i and CD5i) as a minimum. The Marantz 6004s are great for the money but they aren't going to better the Linn kit IMO and neither is the MCR603 or the Denon CEOL, excellent though they are.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Matthews suggestions are all as good as mine. Good luck.

The problem, if it is one, is that there is a lot of good kit out there at the moment.!

Good Luck, merry Christmas and let us know how you get on.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
That's my fear really Matthew as Linn stuff, whilst an acquired taste no doubt, still provides fantastic sound to my ears. Hence the reason I was looking at replacement kit upwards of £500 per component; ruling the 6004 stuff out really. Moon was advocating the higher end Marantz gear?

Are you familiar with it?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
That's my fear really Matthew as Linn stuff, whilst an acquired taste no doubt, still provides fantastic sound to my ears. Hence the reason I was looking at replacement kit upwards of £500 per component; ruling the 6004 stuff out really. Moon was advocating the higher end Marantz gear?

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here. You have a £1250 source, with £1500 amp (2 off?), feeding through £350 speakers. The system sounds fantastic. Imagine what it would sound like with £1K (+/- a bit) speakers?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
OK folks that's a good shout. Not knowing the market can you recommend some specific models that better the 685's?

Bear in mind I do like a weighty sound and that the £1500 budget I specified was to come from the sale of the Classik and Majik. If I am only flogging the speakers then it's £1000 tops and they need to be bookshelf/standmounts.

Cheers

Paul

matthewpiano

PMC DB1i are the best standmounts I've ever heard at that sort of price. Plenty of weight for their size, the transmission line technology helping considerably in this respect. Open sounding with incredible spatial and timbral accuracy and very involving. A completely different ball game to the B&Ws.

I'd also suggest trying KEF's new R300. Heard a pair briefly and they are very impressive indeed for £1,000.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Will try and find somewhere to audition the DB1i's and the R300's. Am just a bit nervous that they won't give me enough f the rich sound that I do like but I will go and see.

Any views on the B&W CM5?

matthewpiano

Not sure about the CM5s but they've got to be worth an audition if you like the B&W sound. Personally, I like the 685s (at their price), really couldn't stand the CM1s (just not natural sounding at all), but loved the £2k PM1s.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
but loved the £2k PM1s.

I wish......I wish. :)

I do like the B&W sound, always have done to be honest hence my reluctance through ignorance to move to another brand. I don't know how much of an increment the CM5's are from the 685's but worth a listen definitely.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts