Budget turntable choices ?

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

Im curious as to what would be a good budget turntable ? I have a lot of old vinyl, still in sleeves/good condition looking quite sad. When i say budget i mean budget ! Looking for a bargain. Ebay or 2nd hand. What's out there thats any good ? Is buying a turntable online a good idea in terms of getting it shipped - by this i mean would this cause any damage ?

Thanks !

A

Anonymous

I'd personally be wary of buying a 2nd hand turntable without hearing it first, so i'd go for a pick up only in the local area with a demo when you get there.

What is your budget? What sound are you looking for?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
When you say budget... are we talking beer money / a couple of hundred / less than a grand?

For beer money, I would be looking at either a Dual 505/2 or a Pioneer PL-12d - both around £30. New cartridge for these? Goldring Elan @ £20.

Couple of hundred? Either a Systemdek IIX, Technics SL1210 not owned by bedroom DJ (if quick 33/45rpm change is important) or Rega Planar 3 depending on whether you prefer suspended or solid. Cartridge for these? Ortofon 2M Red at around £80.

Grand? For me, it would have to be an LP12/Ittok for around £750. Cartridge for this? Denon DL-110, Ortofon 2M Blue or Goldring 2100.

Ebay is fine, but go for ones local-ish to you so you can pick them up unless they have all the original packaging - avoid the "I'll pack it well" as bearings etc will more likely than not get damaged.

Any new turntable will be fine mail-order shipped in the "budget" category. None will have suspension to worry about in the sub-£500 catagory.

EDIT - just seen your other post re costs.

My choice there would be either the Systemdek IIX or SL1210 with an Ortofon Red or Goldring 2100 - should come in around the £300 mark.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I think a good bet is a 'b' stock Rega P3-24 with psu which you can get for £350 (£598) plus cartridge from the likes of Lintone audio or Moorgate acoustics. These are slight seconds (very hard to spot) but for the price i think it's a no brainer!!
emotion-5.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:I think a good bet is a 'b' stock Rega P3-24 with psu which you can get for £350 (£598) plus cartridge from the likes of Lintone audio or Moorgate acoustics. These are slight seconds (very hard to spot) but for the price i think it's a no brainer!!
emotion-5.gif

Ooo! Good tip.

Thanks
emotion-21.gif

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
6th.replicant:mitch65:I think a good bet is a 'b' stock Rega P3-24 with psu which you can get for £350 (£598) plus cartridge from the likes of Lintone audio or Moorgate acoustics. These are slight seconds (very hard to spot) but for the price i think it's a no brainer!!
emotion-5.gif

Ooo! Good tip.

Thanks
emotion-21.gif

Got to love a bargain!
emotion-2.gif

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:When you say budget... are we talking beer money / a couple of hundred / less than a grand?

For beer money, I would be looking at either a Dual 505/2 or a Pioneer PL-12d - both around £30. New cartridge for these? Goldring Elan @ £20.

Couple of hundred? Either a Systemdek IIX, Technics SL1210 not owned by bedroom DJ (if quick 33/45rpm change is important) or Rega Planar 3 depending on whether you prefer suspended or solid. Cartridge for these? Ortofon 2M Red at around £80.

Grand? For me, it would have to be an LP12/Ittok for around £750. Cartridge for this? Denon DL-110, Ortofon 2M Blue or Goldring 2100.

Ebay is fine, but go for ones local-ish to you so you can pick them up unless they have all the original packaging - avoid the "I'll pack it well" as bearings etc will more likely than not get damaged.

Any new turntable will be fine mail-order shipped in the "budget" category. None will have suspension to worry about in the sub-£500 catagory.

EDIT - just seen your other post re costs.

My choice there would be either the Systemdek IIX or SL1210 with an Ortofon Red or Goldring 2100 - should come in around the £300 mark.

Superb reply !
emotion-21.gif
Thanks. The Dual are true bargains arent they ? Yes i will aim at local pick-up on 2nd hand turntables, not worth the risk of posting. Quite like the look of the Systemdek IIX.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
mitch65:I think a good bet is a 'b' stock Rega P3-24 with psu which you can get for £350 (£598) plus cartridge from the likes of Lintone audio or Moorgate acoustics. These are slight seconds (very hard to spot) but for the price i think it's a no brainer!!
emotion-5.gif

Cheers Mitch. It seems the Rega P3-24 is a solid beginner set-up. Plus they are available locally to me, as is the Rega RP1 (thanks 6th.replicant). Even better ! Lots of options it seems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts