Budget System Upgrade time - thoughts please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Currently I'm in possession of my Grandfathers old system namely a Quad 405 Amp & Power Amp along with a pair of B&W DM7's (he got given a B&O system), however as I've just purchased a Sony 32" TV and PS3, I think it's time to upgrade the sound system too.

Having looked at the latest of WHFS&V edition I noticed that the "Budget" Home Cinema spec listed the TV I already got (so a good start there then
emotion-2.gif
). I don't want to spend the earth, so thought that the suggested other "Buget" components: Sony STR-DG820 Receiver and Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 package looked good. But a few questions if I may:

• Am I committing sacrilege in getting rid of the DM7's - or could I find a suitable Sub, Centre and rears to partner them - to my untrained ear they sound OK but they've got to be 25 years old!!
    The 1010's have a "suggested" Power Amp of 15-75Watts - will the Sony's 110Watts damage them (I'm assuming only if I crank it up to full volume, but thought I'd ask)
    The 1010's are obviously designed for small spaces, which is good, as my living room as about 4x4meters, however my B&W's are floor standing so I was wondering if the 1050i package would be a better bet as the "fronts" are also floor standing (and can handle more power).
    I've read that the Sony STR-DG820 has a bigger brother, which I understood was the 920 - but I can't seem to find any reference to it, other than the fact it's due out - did it not arrive in the UK? The Sony site mentions it’s a discontinued model - what replaced it?
    Cable – Any suggestions on something that’s not going to break the bank? As my lounge is to be re carpeted at some point I was wondering about running some flat cable from the front of the room to the straight to the back for the rears – I can’t really go round the room and all the Hi-Fi & TV kit is directly infont of the sofa.

Any thoughts or tips for a newbie please and apologies if I’ve asked some daft questions.

Cheers

Mike

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
There is a middle speaker package from Q Acoustics, which includes the 1030i floorstanders as the fronts.

Saying that, i have a similar room and am quite happy with the 1010i package. Although make good use of the crossovers frequencies to avoid too much bass speaker movemnet on the front 101i's and centre speaker. I have mine set at 80Hz or 100Hz, i think.

I have the Onkyo 606(£299) as the amp. It is 'said' to work well with the 1010i package, but since then, the Sony 2400ES(£365), Denon 1909(£299) and yamaha 763 and 863se have appeared. All seem to be available for discounted prices at the moment, which is why i'm getting tempted.

Hope that answers a few of your many questions.....

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:

Hope that answers a few of your many questions.....

Thanks, it sets my mind at ease that I'm not barking up the wrong tree with my selection.

I take it that turning an Amp to full whack that outputs upto 110W on speakers that can only handle 75W would blow them? I ask as my existing B&W's have an overload circuit (OK a couple of fuses) which is supposed to prevent any accidents

Anyone else care to comment?!?!

Cheers

Mike

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
michaeljclark:

I take it that turning an Amp to full whack that outputs upto 110W on speakers that can only handle 75W would blow them?

Anyone else care to comment?!?!

The only comment I'd make is that I find it extremely unlikely that you'll ever turn that amp up to "full whack". Your ears would probably start bleeding before the speakers gave up. I've got an old Sony STR-930 with KEF Cresta 3 standmounts and centre and I never even get to halfway on the amp's volume control before the missus starts shouting at me to turn it down. I think the STR is about 70-75 watts per channel. My room is a similar size to yours.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:

Your ears would probably start bleeding before the speakers gave up.

Excellent (not that I want bleeding ears you understand) another question answered!!
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts