Budget second hand amp recommendations

jbuckingham

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello

My trusty old Arcam Alpha 7 amp from my spare system has finally given up the ghost so I'm looking for a cheap replacement. For the last few years it has lived at my parents hooked up to a vintage Pioneer PL-510 turntable and some Sony 176e floorstanders. I only really use it every month or so for records that I store there, so it's not really worth me spending too much. I had £50-60 in mind.

In my price range there seems to be some Denon (PM-255UK, PM-355UK), Sony (FE-370 and maybe F540E etc) or some older NAD/Rotel options.

Any suggestions or anything I should avoid? I really just need something reliable and solid, with a phono input of course.

Ta for your help.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The Sony 176e's - the second pair speakers I ever owned.

These I gave to my sister inlaw. (ruined by her cats)

They are good speakers with a nice warm bass. Big mid/bass driver.

Not sure what 50quid will get you these days - but right now there are good bargains on outgoing models floating around.

My current fav budget amp is the Yamaha as500 - about £150 with a VIP pass at Richer Sounds and a little haggling.

It'll be plenty powerful for those boxes and will provide a good sound. 2 pairs of speaker outs to bi-wire and 85wpc.

Consider you get a warranty and it's new, May be worth checking out.

jbuckingham

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for these. The Marantz is a decent option price-wise. I use a PM6004 here at home and it's a good sound.

The Yamaha does look great, just not sure I can justify the spend, iIt's only a spare set up after all. Something to think about though, especially at that price. Maybe I should use the Yamaha here and put the 6004 at my folks!? :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:

Not sure what 50quid will get you these days - but right now there are good bargains on outgoing models floating around.

My current fav budget amp is the Yamaha as500 - about £150 with a VIP pass at Richer Sounds and a little haggling.

It'll be plenty powerful for those boxes and will provide a good sound. 2 pairs of speaker outs to bi-wire and 85wpc.

Cats do not ruin anything, they modify and improve.....!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Not when they us an immaculate pair of floorstanders (budget but immaculate) as a scratching pole or whatever you call something cat's sharpen their claws on.

Breaks my heart when ever we visit, they still sound nice though.

davedotco said:
Thompsonuxb said:

Cats do not ruin anything, they modify and improve.....!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts