Budget amp for Planar 3 and Goldring 2100

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So my old Sony taf 248e keeps cutting out. If I tap the selector knob it comes back on. But what I want to know is...which old amp has the best phone stage. I want to pick something up of fleabay. I can spend about a hundred quid on a S/H amp.

The Pioneer A 400 always had my attention as did the Marantz P44. You get the gist. Im using Goldring 2100 on my Rega turntable through a pair of Mission 702e floor stander. Any other suggestions would be greatfully received.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Romeo Ezzi said:
So my old Sony taf 248e keeps cutting out. If I tap the selector knob it comes back on. But what I want to know is...which old amp has the best phone stage. I want to pick something up of fleabay. I can spend about a hundred quid on a S/H amp.

The Pioneer A 400 always had my attention as did the Marantz P44. You get the gist. Im using Goldring 2100 on my Rega turntable through a pair of Mission 702e floor stander. Any other suggestions would be greatfully received.

Audiolab 8000A from the 80s.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
+1 on the Audiolab 8000a :) .

I have a 1985 vintage at the moment and even though I have considered changing it the problem is I would have to spend a fair amount more to better it. I bought a Pioneer A400 last year and there's no denying it's a good amp when using line level sources but the phono stage is not the best and is easily beaten by Audiolabs which is really rather good.

Either way a good Pioneer or Audiolab will go over your 100 quid budget (although there are plenty of abused ones for that money), look to go up to 150 quid if you possibly can for a really nice example.

A

Anonymous

Ah great, I do fancy the Audiolab. I could stretch to the £150 mark. Thats what I have seen them go for on ebay. Having the MM / MC option would be nice too. I have a couple of old MC's knocking around. Cheers Chaps!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts