BT Mains conditioner alternative

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Could do a job?

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=LE1200I

Looks like a good birthdy present to myself..... Have seen on line for £35-ish.....

A

Anonymous

An APC UPS had crossed my mind as a possible filter to try. I used to have one on my PC but it stopped working before I really considered trying it with the hifi. Let us know how you get on.

A

Anonymous

Did a bit of reading today after Trevor79 gave me some pointers about mains/conditioners yesterday etc. After too many glasses of wine, I cannot remember where exactly I read this but apparently an UPS cannot adequately handle the power surges (or is it "demand"?) from the amplifier, and that it is nothing more than a giant battery with little "mains conditioning circuitry". I could be quoting it wrong but if I were you, I will check it out before going down the wrong road.

A

Anonymous

Got to be dependant on the ups in question id have thought? i im not sure on this and stand to be corrected as im sure i will ;) but you can get some stonking great huge ups units?????

A

Anonymous

As AKL mentioned there is a problem with sufficient power delivery as most budget UPSs have fairly low wattage.

I remember reading somewhere that another problem with them is that they generate their own AC phase (as they are DC batteries which have to supply AC power to a computer, etc) and generate quite a lot of electrical noise in the process.

Sure you may be able to get an expensive one which will be of a better quality but you would probably better off buying a dedicated hifi mains conditioner instead.

A

Anonymous

I came across this, it looks worth while in dealing with Mains contamination, and is cheap enough to try.

With its 30A rating it should be able to handle a systems demands.
I am a bit apprehensive on filters for audio as they can have a limiting effect on pace and timing on music unless they have been designed with that in mind.

But for what they are selling for it's worth trying?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/250V-30A-TDK-MAINS-FILTER-blb16_W0QQitemZ120402080123QQcmdZV

A

Anonymous

It isn't a UPS but a voltage regulator. I read it as being a voltage regulator with surge protection capabilities, but with far more power headroom than the BT units frequently mentioned on these forums. Therefore, if my mains stay within certain parameters, it won't have any effect. (Which is good, I guess). My amp has a max power output of about 350w, the regulator claims an output power capacity of 1200W, does this mean my amp can function efficiently with this device? I am assuming it offers a lot more than the Tacima CS929?

A

Anonymous

It should be capable of handling heavy loads on a circuit or spur from reading the specs.

And the subject is 'BT Mains conditioning alternatives' is it not?

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I read on one of the other web forums that if you use an Uninterruptible Powers Supply as a mains conditioner and the item being run off it hasn't got a switched mode power supply, then both the UPS and the electronics will be destroyed in the the event of a power cut- not sure why though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts