Bryston BP-6 or BP-26

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All
Quick question: has anyone had the opportunity to hear these two pre-amps side by side? I will get a demo soon but was wondering what the extra 2K Euro bought to the party.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
zekezebra said:
...but was wondering what the extra 2K Euro bought to the party.

These two pre-amps aren't like a £500 AV receiver and a £2,000 one. The BP6 was an exercise in downscaling the BP26 into a one box package, with the added benefit of HT bypass facility. The BP26 comes with the full size MPS2 power supply, which feeds the BP26 with power - the BP6 uses an internal transformer, so will be compromised somewhat. Having said that, the BP6 is pretty close to a BP26 - I think if most people heard them in isolation they wouldn't tell much of a difference, if any at all. If you're trying to eek out as much quality as possible, the BP26 will be the way to go.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I had de BP6 (also together with the 2BSST) at home for a week and was very impresssed by it. I think the BP6 will be more than sufficient for most setups.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I own a BP6 which I run with a 4bsst2 amp. The BP6 is an amazing performer. Extremely transparent. Love mine. However, the only reason I would consider the BP26 would be for the balanced connections. THe BP6 only offers RCA connections. The BP26 allows full balanced cabling which some people think is superior. I'm not so sure it is superior, but it would be nice to have the option...

A

Anonymous

Thanks all for the reply's!

Some may remember my earlier question about rock music being too polite so to that end I will get a demonstration of the Bryston 4bsst2 amp along with others.

The plan is to use my existing Marantz Pearl (in the, hopefully, very short term) as a pre-amp and then add the Bryston pre (subject to audition). I feel that the BP-26 would push the budget and waiting time too far hence the interest in the BP-6.

That done I would then be looking at speakers - Kef Reference 205/2 defiantly sounds like one to audition and I would also like to get a listen to Theil CS 3.7.

Has anyone got experience of the Theils? Any others that should be on the short list - I'm looking for something that sounds good at both low and higher volume and covers most types of music. As stated before the system I have now sounds great on some music but doesn't rock. Also it needs a bit of volume before it gets going, constantly getting the "can you turn it down a bit" from the other half!

Interestingly, the Bryston gear is cheaper here in in the Netherlands but speakers such as Kef are far more expensive so I would probably get the amplifier here and the speakers in the UK.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts